Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use any type of dust collection on their portable table saw?
My ridgid blows out a decent cloud and I would like to cut it down. I don't want to do the shop vac because i just don't have room to carry it.
I thought I would ask before I become "Doc Brown" from "Back to the Future"

·
I like Green things
23,069 Posts
Does anyone use any type of dust collection on their portable table saw?
My ridgid blows out a decent cloud and I would like to cut it down. I don't want to do the shop vac because i just don't have room to carry it.
I thought I would ask before I become "Doc Brown" from "Back to the Future"

You can get a big bag for the dust outlet and a bag that goes just underneath the table. It gets all the falling dust.

I will find links, Bosch makes a big bag for the back, should fit your saw.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-TS1004-Table-Dust-Collector/dp/B00004R9LF

http://www.tylertool.com/skil34.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=become

There are better than that skill, cant remember who makes it, I think woodcraft carry's it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Since your talking about portable table saws you could cut your wood outside without any bag, this would make your table saw dusty though.

·
Contractor
4,764 Posts
does anyone have real world experience with the Bosch bag? Has anyone connected a vac to the rear port in the field on the Bosch...I constantly have sawdust escaping throught he sides, bottom and top of my Bosch table saw.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have seen the bags and they have 2 problems.
1. they hold a lot of dust when empty
2. They always seem to rip when you need it most.
The Fein vac is a good tool but I have no room to carry it. When they start making trucks with 12' beds I'll be in great shape. Us tool junkies have it tough.
Cutting outside is not an option. I do int. trim/ finish work because I paid my dues outside framing.
The woodworking show is coming to Denver next month, I may just wait and see if anything is there.
Thanks for the thoughts.

·
I like Green things
23,069 Posts
Get one of these then, you won't have to bring a table saw anymore.

Otherwise, I gave you your only options for trying to eliminate some dust with a portable table saw.

Buy a van, or get a trailer.

I have the auto switch for my portable table saw, I hook up a big ridgid vac, works ok, still get some drop straight down.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I bought a separate auto start switch from Rockler for $36. Works great.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17351
Steve
That is exactly what I need. I had a home made rig. Just a switch with a couple of cords extending out of it so when I hit the switch it turns on two things at once, like table saw and vac.

Now that I use so much PVC trim you can't just let sawdust land on someones lawn. It also clogs up my Dewalt table saws to quickly if I don't have a vac connected to it.

Thanks for posting that link.

dave

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
That is exactly what I need. I had a home made rig. Just a switch with a couple of cords extending out of it so when I hit the switch it turns on two things at once, like table saw and vac.

Now that I use so much PVC trim you can't just let sawdust land on someones lawn. It also clogs up my Dewalt table saws to quickly if I don't have a vac connected to it.

Thanks for posting that link.

dave
you check your treads yet?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Get one of these then, you won't have to bring a table saw anymore.

Otherwise, I gave you your only options for trying to eliminate some dust with a portable table saw.

Buy a van, or get a trailer.

I have the auto switch for my portable table saw, I hook up a big ridgid vac, works ok, still get some drop straight down.
The track saw works for most things a table saw will do except for one thing. I freehand a lot of stuff with my ts, Do they make slinky tracks for the green saw?

·
Finish Carpenter
27 Posts
I've got a pretty good solution for dust collection. It's not perfect by any means, but it works for me. My portable saw has a 2-1/2" outlet at the back, probably just like yours. I take the 45 degree coupler for my shopvac, plug it in there and direct the dust into a large blue-box (recycling bin in Canada) and cover the whole works with an old towel or rag. Like I said, not perfect, but you shouldn't be cutting with it in the living room anyhow.

Brian

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
I have hooked my Bosch 4100 to a shop vac....It cuts down ALOT of the dust but I still get some that just falls to the floor. I would say 80%-90% gets caught...but I am sure it would do better if I didn't have a 15 year old, beat to hell shop-vac attached to it.

·
Feedin the geese
336 Posts
The Bosch bag works OK. It gets plugged up pretty easily when ripping certain materials that come off in bigger chunks. Once it gets plugged it just blows crap back into your face. However, if you stay on top of it and clean out the port here and there it does catch a good chunk of the dust.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts