Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't pulled the trigger on a portable miter saw stand yet because of the ones I see I haven't been able to find a clear winner yet. Saw horses are getting old and wearing me out so I need to get a good portable stand with wheels perferably or one I can modify and put wheels on. Having good wings for supporting stock is really important and sturdiness. I would prefer to be able to leave the saw attached all the time, these freaken big ass sliding compound miters are breaking my back trying to move them around. Oh yeah, stop blocks are a must, those are worth their weight in gold.

The Dewalt seems pretty sturdy and as decent wings and as I remember a stop block that is only on the left side, but kind of flimsy. No wheels though.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Mike,
I took a chance on the Harbor Freight stand when it was on sale for something like 49 bucks. It has worked out good for me. It has a large table, long extensions, and a stop that can be placed on either end. It isn't the greatest but sets up easily, is sturdy and has 2 wheels. I don't think I would trust my Dewalt SCMS to be attached while rolling the table but I suppose it would be possible.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Mike,

I'm not sure of the brand name but the one below sold by Lee Valley Tools here in Canada looks awesome - http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=49718&category=1,240&SID=&ccurrency=1

My Delta SCMS came with it's own stand but it took a beating last year. I am in the market for a new stand this year and I really like the fact this one has wheels. You can probably find one a lot cheaper in the States but this one sounds like what you're in the market for.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tg- I have seen that stand before, I am skeptical about its supposed 500 lb capacity, it just didn't seem that sturdy in person. I also don't like the fact that the wheels are on the bottom of one set of legs - makes for not as stable a surface as I need when it can roll on you while it is set up. What can I say? I'm really picky at this point, probably why I haven't bought one yet.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'd be interested as well. I still drag my 16ft custom built jobs around to every site. If I could find something for the smaller jobs in the right price range, I'm a buyer.

·
Electrical Contractor
744 Posts
I bought the Rigid model from Home Depot. Cost 149 and works grat for me. Folds up like a hand truck for easy moving, then sets up in minutes. Not sure about the wings tho

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think this could be the winner. It runs about $250 at Toolking, the Bosch Trakrac

I'm not sure if this is the exact model it might be another Bosch version they had on display, because the picture doesn't relly convey how beefy it really is compared to everything else I have seen, nor the quality of the stops and slides, everything is cam levered, its about 40lbs and supports 500lbs and actually looks like it might. Both wings slide out to cover 20 feet which is more than enough for me, its got wheels and all the bells and whistles I am looking for and looks like it might last more than a year or two on the job site.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Mike, that one does look good. Let us know if you get it and if you like it or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Buy the Porta-mate shown by Pipeguy's post. I have it and it is really a great stand for the price. I like it better than my Dewalt which was much more expensive. The only alteration I would make to the Porta-mate is to replace the wheels with ones a little larger and better quality and that is easily done. It is a much better stand than most of the higher priced ones.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
How does that stand address the dead stop issue? one of my biggest issues right now since i've been mulling over a pre-built stand myself.

Those wheels look to be great for a paved driveway, thinking it might be a PITA on a new conconstruction site with the ruts and the mud!!

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The one I looked at at Toolking had a stop on it. Like I said this may or may not be the actual picture of the one I looked at, it is pretty close if it is not. Everything was very beefy and study, not just wing nuts and cheap stamped metal or angle iron, but positive cams and locking slides. You are right on the wheels. You would need to swap them out with some big ole mudders!

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
By the looks and sounds of it, actually getting what you pay for. I like the track feature that allows you to slide your saw in and out of the base plate, and not have to fuss around setting it back up if you dont want to use the stand on a small job.

I gotta a few sets of old slicks in the basement to replace those puny wheels, but they only fit 15" rims. Think the stand would look better with some 22" spinners anyways:Thumbs: ;)

Great find and already saved link to favorties for tool purchasing time this spring!! Maybe if I'm lucky one of the local stores will carry them so I dont have to ship it in.

Anybody tried to use a 12" sliding miter to cut vinyl siding? do they cut deep enough for a thru cut on a 90*, what about on the angle? Anybody make a 10" skill saw? Not thread stealin, figured I'd ask while we're kick'n stuff around.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'm curious about these stands in day to day use. I guess that you have to move the support for every cut if your length varies.
My customs may be awkward but they are solid and 14" deep which amounts to a long small workbench. With smaller trim, up to 5-1/4, I can stack it on the table and it is ready when I need it. I can still cut behind the pile. When detailing there is a place to put all of the short pieces.
I'm looking forward to hearing of your experiences with the open frame concept.
Mike, stay put. I know who pondman is and I'm running his butt out of here.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Agreed Teetor, the stands aren't 100% ideal for the type of day-to-day use you described. These types of stands beneift those that have to transport to the job site a lot. For me, my Delta CSMS came with it's own stand but it doesn't extend long enough nor is it sturdy enough for my needs. The extensions on it include stops and they're made of plastic. The base/legs are aluminum and the height can be adjusted but the extensions are pretty much useless for anything over 6' long. Try cutting a 45 off the end of a 16' 5/4" piece of cedar and see how much fun you can have - LOL. I have a couple of the portable rollers but I really think that having a more stable stand and extensions would be really helpful. Plus having the wheels is a huge bonus. I use my wheelbarrow and balance my saw on top it to take it from the truck to the work site - which can be entertaining if the side or back yard is on a slope!!!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts