Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Box Builder
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but didnt come up with much. Are there any decent portable heaters out there for heating a house while the boiler is still unhooked. Most of what I've found are like 5k watts 240 volt that run around $75-$110. Are these things worth it.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
The electric haters are cheap and no fumes, no hauling fuel, but they don't put out much heat. 3.4 btus per watt, you can figure out what you need. I have a couple, one has a dryer plug on it, the other I wire direct to a breaker usually.

·
Box Builder
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's has to be electric. No propane, diesel, or kerosene. Well, it is a pretty tight house,
But it is big, so not sure ill get the whole thing heated.

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
Morning Wood said:
I did a search but didnt come up with much. Are there any decent portable heaters out there for heating a house while the boiler is still unhooked. Most of what I've found are like 5k watts 240 volt that run around $75-$110. Are these things worth it.
I have done it once or twice . Works well enough to heat the space up . Just that you use a lot of breakers in home . Other wise you trip breakers using power tools on someone . The stand up moving ones work best . Did like two per room .

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
These heaters are bada$$. We have heated 3000 sq ft houses in the dead of winter with one and a couple fans. And usually we aren't buying the electricity but we have to buy diesel/propane.:thumbup:

·
Box Builder
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah. I don't need anything that hard core. There is a wood stove in the house too. Just need a few small heaters, but better than the 120 volt 1500 watt ones.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,579 Posts
Yeah. I don't need anything that hard core. There is a wood stove in the house too. Just need a few small heaters, but better than the 120 volt 1500 watt ones.
You can get good $1500W heaters for $30. You can get a 5000W heater for $300 or a 20KW for $1K. The 1500W ones are much cheaper per watt than other options. If you don't want to keep the heaters, pick up some of the garage type heaters, and it's pretty easy to resell them. Or just use them in your garage:whistling

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
A couple cheap 1500 watt heaters can still be handy for cold corners

1 - 14 of 14 Posts