Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on building one of these portable cutting tables. I am drawing up a cut list for myself and thought I might as well make a PDF out of it and post it somewhere on the site if folks want to make their own.
What I'm wondering is if you guys that have built them already, have any advice for hole placement, attachments etc, or even overall dimensions? I could incorporate them into the plans and I would end up with a better table when I build my own. I'm using this thread for visual help already. Thanks, Nick.

http://www.contractortalk.com/f40/portable-cutting-table-126482/

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
I'm actually hoping to build one as well. I have a small garage I'm finishing off to do some work in but everything we do is field work pretty much. I'm looking to do it in the next couple weeks so if you've got it done by then and have any tips or tricks I'd love to hear them.

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like I'm gonna have to do one and then come back to this thread for input. I'm not very creative. I'm using overanalyze's pics of his table as a basic guide. Cutting all the slots and holes is really the time consuming part. But so is making sure they are in the right spots. I thought a set of working plans would make it easier for guys to dive in and make a table.

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got started today. Between all the disruptions, I still have to make a router jig for the slots and run them. Also have to round over all the holes. I figured I'd see if it even works before I spent time rounding over 41 holes and 14 slots. I have to adjust my plans slightly, but should be able to finish this weekend. Thanks to overanalyze's thread for getting me going. Nick.

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, in true form I f'ed up the table. I cut all the slots on the longitudinal pieces on the top. The end slots should have been on the bottom to mate with the legs. So I reslotted the longitudinal pieces in a different spot and then made some extra pieces to fill the extra slots. Should have known better to start working on it at 9:00 pm. Oh well. Other than that it seems to have come out pretty good. It is quite stable and I like the side slot I did to hold the track. It has a 5 degree bevel. Much more convenient than sliding the tracks into the slots. Still have to round over everything. I'm waiting on that though, because I'm not looking forward to that task.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Morning Wood said:
Well, in true form I f'ed up the table. I cut all the slots on the longitudinal pieces on the top. The end slots should have been on the bottom to mate with the legs. So I reslotted the longitudinal pieces in a different spot and then made some extra pieces to fill the extra slots. Should have known better to start working on it at 9:00 pm. Oh well. Other than that it seems to have come out pretty good. It is quite stable and I like the side slot I did to hold the track. It has a 5 degree bevel. Much more convenient than sliding the tracks into the slots. Still have to round over everything. I'm waiting on that though, because I'm not looking forward to that task.
Looks awesome!! Have other stuff that is more important keeping me busy but when I am ready to build one I'm sure I'll have some questions.

·
Always Learning
8,722 Posts
I completely missed this thread Morning Wood! Looks great!! I have a set of plans for my design all drawn up...I wish I would have seen this sooner it might have saved you some time. I like the side slot. Cool mod!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts