Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I desperately need a hand held portable band saw lately so I am getting ready to buy one. Anyone have one that can give me some info? Ive been looking at the milwaukee ones but they have several model numbers and all look the same, its driving me crazy. I just want a durable good quality tool and plus it has to be corded. Im done with all these heavy duty tools that run on batteries and used on jobs where a corded tool needs to be...no more battery power for me, except a drill. So if anyone has any input let me know. Ive only seen dewalt, milwaukee and makita out there.

Thanks

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have the Makita Band Saw....cordless. This tool actually performs very well compared to it's corded brother. The battery life on it is very long. Band Saws don't seem to bog down and drain batteries like cordless drills, circ saws, or recips.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Porter - Cable makes one, a porta-band, it works well as I have had a few. I think it is a little lighter than the Milwaukee's, but I have a Milwaukee too that works great. On the job I am on now it seems as all the mechanical trades have the Milwaukee. Not sure why? They all can be used with a accessories for mounting on a portable vice & can cut with fairly good precision.

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
I have used about all of them, I bought a Porter Cable 7724 when it came time for me to buy one, it has an adjustable speed control for cutting different types of material that most of the others don't offer.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didnt know porter cable made one...but is this the new black and decker porter cable or the porter cable of old (with the good products)?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I've had a lot of hours using the Milwaukee,Regular and the deep throat----------

Good solid machines with good balance. I never tried any other brands-

That Porter Cable sounds like it might be worth a second look.--MIKE--

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I gotta try to find the PC online to take a look. Ive never used any portable ones but have 2 stationary metal cutting band saws in my shop. Thats the problem, when Im doing a railing installation onsite and need to cut a .065 2" round tube I end up using the angle grinder which cuts smoothe but rarely even. Milwaukee is the brand I was interested in mainly because its the only one Ive seen a lot of, but there are so many model numbers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts