Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about roof pitch and looks. I'm building a Three Seasons Room for a customer. Their ranch house roof pitch is 4/12 and they want the room pitch to be 6/12. I'm concerned about how that is going to look. Anyone ever ran into this before?

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
IMO, doesn't matter.

Come out to Calif, we have houses with multi pitched roofs. Sometimes they are trusses & sometimes a PORAC has to cut them....not very many of them anymore though....:thumbsup:

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,202 Posts
All the time. Why do they want that pitch? Is there room for it?

Render a pic of what it would look like, and that may spark some sanity.

·
Super Moderator
28,755 Posts
Porac?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They want the sumner (support) 2x10's to set on their top plate. I have to make it a 6/12 for the overhangs to match. That's all.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,202 Posts
They want the sumner (support) 2x10's to set on their top plate. I have to make it a 6/12 for the overhangs to match. That's all.
Tough situation, but they shouldn't be dictating how to build it. You're the expert.

Without seeing the situation or thinking about it overmuch, seems like you should be able to give them the look they want without a pitch mismatch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know the exact situation without seeing it but I've done many additions with different roof pitch than the main house roof. Not ideal but sometimes it's necessary. If possible make it 4/12 to match the house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a question about roof pitch and looks. I'm building a Three Seasons Room for a customer. Their ranch house roof pitch is 4/12 and they want the room pitch to be 6/12. I'm concerned about how that is going to look. Anyone ever ran into this before?
5 and 12

no other way

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I've always felt that different pitched roofs make for a more interesting structure. I frequently see porch roofs LESS steep that main house roofs but it may look fine. I do agree that a drawing would tell a lot

·
Banned
36 Posts
Give the customer what they want. If they change it give them a CO for 17 hrs.
I think part of the job is to make sure the customer doesn't do something stupid they will regret. You could just follow their instructions but it is pretty certain they will have forgotten what they told you (conveniently) and I'd rather do it right or not at all. Just my opinion.

Rod
www.blueskyglass.net

1 - 15 of 15 Posts