Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replace a number of wood porch posts and wood railings due to rotting issues with either aluminum or pvc. The wood posts are quite often imbedded in the aluminum soffit and trim. The installation would be faster if I could just cut off the post a 1/2" from the soffit and insert the new post. Therefore, not messing with trim screws and nails or structural areas. The aluminum post trim or pvc post trim covers that area.
I was thinking about purchasing another reciprocating saw like the Dewalt DW304PK with the 4 different angle settings. Not sure if this is the best method so I was looking for some input.
Thanks,

Attachments

·
manipulator of wood
835 Posts
that's what I would do. do it right. pull off 2 strips of soffit and change it all the way up

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
How would connect the new post to the 1/2" left of the old?
Post glue of course, you big dummy! ;)

Actually, this is why I usually make my posts accessible from the start,...usually my beam too...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Do them a favor and replace that hideous Kaycan soffit. Its probably not even ceiling rated anyways

·
Registered
160 Posts
You need to take the sofit off first to see what your dealing with.There probley is a beam and it might be just sitting on the post.put some temporay post up take the old ones out and put the new in.Take the soffit off take a picture and get back with us.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I would cut the post and leave a couple inches then chisel the remaining out. then see what you have and then decide what to do from there.
you might have to cut the soffit hole out a little bigger to let the new post fit up in so it will fit up to the existing beam. your trim ring on the new post will cover the cut. you would have to jack the roof up a little to clear the thickness of the soffit to get the new post in.
good luck................nicko

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pop some soffit off and do it the right way. Will be less of a pain, and you will sleep better. You should be able to reinstall the soffit.
Like I said I do quite a few of these and it is not always practical to pop off the soffit. If I think there is a risk then I will.
Most of the wooden porch posts I take out have different levels of rot. Some not supporting anything and actually move around. Sometimes 1 is bad and 3 aren't too bad but if you replace one you do them all. Generally, the posts are sitting on the beam and are easily accessible. Other times they are a PIA. I have encountered 2 layers of soffit on a few. Easier to go over top I assume.
Not many new homes use wood posts or railings any longer. They are fibreglass, aluminum or pvc. Who wants to paint or replace posts after 5-10 years?
Pictures are pvc that replaced rotting wood. The houses aren't that old.

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How would connect the new post to the 1/2" left of the old?
Most of the wooden posts are 5x5 to 5-1/2 x 5-1/2. The vinyl(pvc) turned look posts have an aluminum tube up the center and a flange on the top with holes in the corners for screws. The vinyl can rotate once there is load on the aluminum tubing which makes the adding of screws or concrete fasteners easier. The aluminum posts have a flange as well that you screw to the top and bottom areas that get covered with trim pieces.

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Post glue of course, you big dummy! ;)

Actually, this is why I usually make my posts accessible from the start,...usually my beam too...
Yes, these are the straight forward installations. Many designs for porches do not plan to have the posts replaced.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Bluudog said:
Kaycan is a Canadian Company so the builders have to use it here!:laughing:
So switch to mitten, american owned made in canada! Kaycan does have a nice beaded soffit thats cheap

1 - 13 of 13 Posts