Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

just thought I would ask if anyone ever had the same problem. I'm just finishing up installing a 2500 sf of 24 inch rectified porcelain . as we're installing a put a few sections of red rosin paper down to protect the floor. one area got wet and I guess the dye from the red rosin paper looks like its soaked into the surface of the porcelain.

I tried a couple cleaners that the homeowner had to try to remove it but it didn't seem to work. wondering if anyone has ever had this problem. should i try muriatic acid?
or is there anything else that would work? besides chipping out the stained tiles and replacing?

Thank you for your expert knowledge on the situation sirs.

have a wonderful day!

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Lesson learned. Never use red rosin paper. I'll use brown and then add a later of carpet protector. But I would recommend Ram Board in the future.

As far as cleaning try oxi clean.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Demo it . What does one area mean? How many square ft? Fred Hueston has some good stain removal videos on the internets, what pulled in has to be pulled out, a poultice solution, but will it be uniform? While your waiting to see results it could be replaced. Muriatic ? Don't roll the dice!

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
FWIW, I'm going through an issue right now with kiln release and tissue-like packaging paper. Love the Chinese quality control systems....:no:

I've tried everything in my knowledge base and a few odd balls. Nothing (including acid) is getting these tiles clean.

After much research (I think I can now officially get some kind of chemical degree), I'm doing my last try with AquaMix NanoScrub. As we know, porcelain is not porous. When you get to the molecular level, a lot of "cleaners" chemical make up use compounds whose molecules are simply too large to get into all the pores of porcelain tile. AquaMix NanoScrub is designed to have a small enough molecular structure to get into porcelain pores.

So it's not always that you can't clean a tile, it very well might be the wrong cleaner to get deep enough into the stain to release it.

Here's a tile (look for dimple shadows on surface) after 5-6 washes with heavy duty acidic cleaners.

I'll post my results once I make my latest attempt.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Try salt+baking soda.

Here's how I know. GC fails to tell me pitted glass tile was suppose to get sanded cement grout not unsanded. Unsanded got into every pore and pit. Acid wash, nano scrub did nothing. When scrubbed with brush, the different size crystals got down into pores and removed grout. Got it to about 90% and it was acceptable to GC.
Good luck.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Not going back to that site for a bit. All this cleaning is on my dime so I get to it when I can. I mean Floor and Decor is not helping at all and it's their tile. Maybe some time next week.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Not going back to that site for a bit. All this cleaning is on my dime so I get to it when I can. I mean Floor and Decor is not helping at all and it's their tile. Maybe some time next week.
Tell them that's what it's suppose to look like.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
It might be too late but maybe go over the tile with matching cementious grout. It might get into the micro pores of the tile. Then if needed, use an enhancer to deepen color. But your preferred grout might block this .

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I was putting white marble backsplash in my kitchen and got tired of messing with the mortar so I decided to use that caulk w adhesive in it.. worked great.. ran out of it and all I had was some black roofing cement. .. yep, I used it.. and about ten min later all my tiles were yellow, black and grey.. and kept getting darker and darker.. I was like "damn that was stupid!".

Had to replace all of it.. but there's one or two subway tiles that are still a lil dark.. I'm going to try some of those products on them rt now and see what happens..

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts