Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
A garden sprayer (2 gal) is all I've ever used to wet an area that isn't too big where as it can dry out before I can scrap it. It seems the guy in the above video is going a bit overkill with his use of water. You really don't need that much to effectively remove the popcorn texture. You will, however, make a mess, so put down enough tarps/plastic to cover things up.

Oh, the texture comes off quite easily, unless its been primed/painted over. If so, then all bets are off, as the water/scrape technique may work but be rather tedious, or may not work at all and you may have to resort to more aggressive means, like sanding. Also, you will probably have to count on floating the entire ceiling with joint compound, more so than if the ceiling has never been painted over.

·
Super Moderator
11,332 Posts
It seems the guy in the above video is going a bit overkill with his use of water. You really don't need that much to effectively remove the popcorn texture.
Not really overkill.:no:
It just looks like I'm using a lot of water. Keep in mind the water is atomized. I probably use about 2.5 gallons of water for an average size room.

I used to use a pump sprayer to wet the popcorn. :eek:
I'm airless all the way now. :thumbup:

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
Not really overkill.:no:
It just looks like I'm using a lot of water. Keep in mind the water is atomized. I probably use about 2.5 gallons of water for an average size room.

I used to use a pump sprayer to wet the popcorn. :eek:
I'm airless all the way now. :thumbup:
That much wasn't too clear for me in watching the video. Thanks for clearing that up. I would, however, hazard a guess that most of us knuckleheads using the ol garden sprayer method do so because we don't have ready access to the airless setup. I tell ya, there is never loss for things to put on my Santy Clause wish list.

·
GC/carpenter
44,330 Posts
Sir Mixalot said:
Not really overkill.:no: It just looks like I'm using a lot of water. Keep in mind the water is atomized. I probably use about 2.5 gallons of water for an average size room. I used to use a pump sprayer to wet the popcorn. :eek: I'm airless all the way now. :thumbup:
I agree, I used to do a lot of that stuff and the sprayer in that video is the only way to fly especially when your doing a whole house. It is a lot less work, simply because it's lighter and your not pumping it up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.