Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Design Build
8,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have often pulled over to take pictures of things that just don't look right. I am going to start this thread with some of these pix.......and maybe we can figure out what went wrong and together, through peer education, eliminate this from happening again (at least by those who frequent this site)

1. This house [East of Memphis, TN] has a bay that the roof looks all wrong on. I expect Joe Carola could seriously school the right way to do this.

2. The far upper ridge / valley looks a bit weird, but it could just be the camera angle.

3. The over-sized triangular louver (ugly-as-sin) is common in that area. Ridge vents? Hello?

Attachments

·
Design Build
8,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
East of Memphis - #2

I believe this was caused by the framer not compensating for the brick in his run calculations - or not.

I'm only guessing.

In the same subdivision, I counted 6 homes with similar little triangles like these. Somewhere the roof planes are not zeroing out correctly at the face of the brick.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,674 Posts
Disgraceful!

That bay roof was a hack job. It should follow the pitch of the house, and have a small ridge that is the same length as the bay is from the house. That 2nd pick with the double/flash/hack job is something I have never seen. I cannot imagine what went wrong there.Roofer should be whipped too.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
On that bay in the first pics, which it seems to me should have been a full hip, what is happening with the two hips at the eave? Why do they dog-leg?

Agree that the roofer should be taken out and shot on the last one, man, how do you walk away from that dogs breakfast? Hard to see what when wrong on the lines, though.

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Wow, those are some of the worst ones I have seen. Lack of skills and knowledge is what caused these.

·
Registered
72 Posts

I'm currently trying to straighten out this mess with a architect.
At least it never got past the framing stage..and ill have plenty of engineer grade 2x4's to recycle after i take that truss system down :no:

·
Registered
157 Posts
there are a few beauties around here that I need to snap a pic of.. one in particular has a hip/valley that grows from nothing at the facia to about a foot up near the top.. I looked at one house that my brother was helping a guy on...my brother has 0 experience in framing and was working as a helper with one of his friends. My brother was concerned that some things they were doing were not up to snuff... When I went with him to look after walking around the house one time I told him to LEAVE AND NEVER RETURN. There was NOTHING right on the house. There were walls with at least 9 inch bows.. there was NO WAY they would have been able to sheet the roof due to rafters and hips being so up and down. The guy he was working for insisted that a little sawz-alling here and there and the roof would be fine... I told him the whole house needed to be bulldozed. I think somebody ended up tearing it down to the first floor walls and fixing it..

·
Registered
32 Posts
they put the crickets on the second house after they figured out that the water cascading down that steep roof was flooding out the window below.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Here are more photos showing that a substantial amount of the weight of those trusses are resting on some 2x4's and apparently the contractor got flagged and was required to reinforce the slab in the load bearing area.

·
framer
154 Posts

Here are more photos showing that a substantial amount of the weight of those trusses are resting on some 2x4's and apparently the contractor got flagged and was required to reinforce the slab in the load bearing area.
Other than the footing issue that the framer probaly had nothing to do with, this looks like a tite clean frame to me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
"wallmaxxEast of Memphis - #2
I believe this was caused by the framer not compensating for the brick in his run calculations - or not.

I'm only guessing."

I'm assuming you're referring to the pitch change near the plate,if it is, it's called a bell roof fairly common down here ,but it looks like crap when it terminates on a gable end instead of being used on all hip roofs only ,like the rest of the hips on the house.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts

Well, it's definitely poorly designed. Framing looks OK, can't tell just from those pics.

Failure of communication between the truss designer, the contractor and the architect. Or maybe someone just didn't give two ****s.

·
Registered
72 Posts

heres more pics

The former builder did not follow the architects plans and the trusses were not signed off on by an engineer...they were simply ordered by the builder from the truss company.

There are plumbing drain and vent ABS pipes coming out hallways and there are rooms that are so oddly shaped that they are unworkable.

The house is 7100 sq. ft. ...we intend to cut a large central courtyard out of the slab, trench the slab to move the plumbing for a workable floor plan and re dig and pour new footings...Of course the trusses and the interior walls all have to come down first.

The new trusses will have a more conventional pitch and i agree it is a fugly looking house right now.

·
Work too cheap
40 Posts
Well, it's definitely poorly designed. Framing looks OK, can't tell just from those pics.

Failure of communication between the truss designer, the contractor and the architect. Or maybe someone just didn't give two ****s.
Yeah proves "anyone" can throw up trusses....literally

·
Registered
594 Posts
That whole thing just looks messy! I like the fillers and little plywood gussets ont the piggybacks instead of running lat :w00t:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts