Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did a complete remodel on my second floor of my house but I'm disappointed with the second floor water pressure, specifically the master shower. I removed all restrictors and cleared the lines of any sediment.

I have 1" pipe coming from the city (Chicago) source and 3/4" copper feeding upstairs to 1/2" fixture inlets. The pipe run from water inlet and heater (in basement) to upstairs (second floor) is no more than about 20' (vertical).

I'm considering having a pump installed. Has anyone installed a Davey - Hydrascan pump?? Results?? Worth it??

Also, what is the maximum pressure the copper pipe (1", 3/4" and 1/2") can handle?

Any other pump suggestions or problem advice is appreciated.

U

·
0 Posts
Its not so much the pipe its the joints you will have to worry about. Copper has a workable pressure of about 100 lbs. But for a city you should be getting close to 70 lbs psi water pressure from the street. If not the restriction may be at the water meter out at the street.

U

·
0 Posts
I wish the pressure was 70 psi!

Info from city website...

What is the water pressure to my building?

Water pressure varies throughout Chicago and is dependent on a number of factors. Generally, pressure in the city water mains will be between 30 and 40 PSI (pounds per square inch), unless an unusually heavy demand is occurring, such as an open fire hydrant in the area.

Do I need a booster pump for my building?

If there is a question concerning the need for a booster pump for your water service, you can contact the Plumbing Inspection Division at (312) 7447017 or (312) 744-7060 for information. It is generally recommended that buildings taller than two stories be equipped with booster pumps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts