Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Poor Man's CAD

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  JR Shepstone 
#1 ·
I have to product some shotp drawings and my engineer is taking a painfully long time. I've downloaded a free version of Draft Sight and thus far I'm REALLY impressed with it. Anyone own the full version? Is it worth the $400 and 150 per year?

#3 ·
Chris the trouble I have is engineering firms refusing to produce drawings for low voltage applications. I'd like to bring the design in house.

I don't know what it's like in Toronto but in Ottawa it seems like good design and engineering companies that can produce and modify drawings in a timely manor are hard to come by.

#9 ·
We did an ICF church last winter, the engineer of record they hired was the same engineer company that stamps all the ICF drawings for the block we used, which was also spec'd in the project.

The engineer asked for shop drawings, I photocopied parts of the ICF manual with his stamp on it and sent it in.

He sends it back with corrections...I called and asked what was the problem (we had already completed a portion he wanted corrected). He says he wants it done a different way...I ask him if ethics needs to be reviewed...he let it be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.