Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to product some shotp drawings and my engineer is taking a painfully long time. I've downloaded a free version of Draft Sight and thus far I'm REALLY impressed with it. Anyone own the full version? Is it worth the $400 and 150 per year?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No

Last time an engineer asked me for shop drawings for rebar details, I photocopied his rebar detail page and returned it to him.
Chris the trouble I have is engineering firms refusing to produce drawings for low voltage applications. I'd like to bring the design in house.

I don't know what it's like in Toronto but in Ottawa it seems like good design and engineering companies that can produce and modify drawings in a timely manor are hard to come by.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Chris the trouble I have is engineering firms refusing to produce drawings for low voltage applications. I'd like to bring the design in house.

I don't know what it's like in Toronto but in Ottawa it seems like good design and engineering companies that can produce and modify drawings in a timely manor are hard to come by.
Timely manor is the key word, we have the same issue here

REJECTED STAMP!!!

:laughing:
I've had that one too :blink: on his own drawings

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Timely manor is the key word, we have the same issue here

I've had that one too :blink: on his own drawings
What turnaround time for minor modifications?

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Anywhere from 3 days to weeks...literally

Normally I have made the change in the field and sent them a picture...here is what we did, make your drawing the same

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anywhere from 3 days to weeks...literally

Normally I have made the change in the field and sent them a picture...here is what we did, make your drawing the same
I suffer the exact same problem, I had one done in 2 days...the next was 2 weeks.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
We did an ICF church last winter, the engineer of record they hired was the same engineer company that stamps all the ICF drawings for the block we used, which was also spec'd in the project.

The engineer asked for shop drawings, I photocopied parts of the ICF manual with his stamp on it and sent it in.

He sends it back with corrections...I called and asked what was the problem (we had already completed a portion he wanted corrected). He says he wants it done a different way...I ask him if ethics needs to be reviewed...he let it be.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I use the free version.

It does everything I can expect it to and then some. I don't have any experience with the paid version.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts