Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me the secret to determining the type of paint I would have on my pool.

From what I have read if I apply the wrong one it will peel off really quick. Hoping to drain the pool this weekend, clean it and paint it

·
Super Moderator
23,773 Posts
No experience, but the architect sent me a set of plans by mistake for a school's pool renovation.

As I recall it called out a primer epoxy system.

Called for the pool to be cleaned with a specific process and then dried thoroughly.

No longer have the plans.

For normal people probably latex paint from the box store...

Good Luck...:thumbsup:

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Re-plastering is gonna give you the best bang for the buck...paint is an option with latex lasting 2/3 years, epoxies 7/8 years.

A good plaster job can exceed 20 years easily.

All solutions require meticulous preparation or life expectancy will be greatly reduced.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My pool is not in bad shape, actually in very good condition, I want to paint it now before it gets bad. I flipped it to a salt water pool when I bought the house.

I live in a pool neighborhood and the local weekend experts who's pools need sandblasting are telling me not to waste my time I have years of life left, I disagree as the finish looks 'thin' to me.

So I'm doing preventive maintenance as opposed to full scale $8-10,000.00 repairs they need to do.

Latex over or under epoxy I don't believe will work, and someone told me about a rubberized paint product. Might be a Canadian thing, not sure. I just need to know how to test the current material and get the same thing.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ImageUploadedByContractorTalk1430657309.861597.jpg

Pool store determined it was acrylic paint, this thing is being painted today.

And last night Pickle discovered my pool is not meant to be a skateboard pool

·
Registered
2 Posts
We normally use epoxy system because its pretty durable and long lasting.. weve been in this business for some time and tried many other... they all have their advantages but we find epixy has the best long term advantages..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts