Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havnt seen this crack but apparently my bro-inlaws pool has a 6" crack that I am going over to fix this weekend. Apparently he already bought whatever it is to fix the crack.

How do people usually go about fixing somthing like this? Chip open the crack a little, blow it out, hit it with bonding agent and put some sort of cement product on it I assume? Is is a poor repair job if it isnt injected with the repair product?

I dont know much about pools like this. I guess im going to learn :laughing:

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
Grind the joint out, just wide enough that you can dovetail the sides, then use hydraulic cement to fill the joint. Pool plaster patches are not ideal, but do 1 portland-2 marbledust with a good (30% solids) bonding agent as your mix water. Make sure you get all the loose plaster off around the crack, and if you are real anal paint the bonder on before patching the plaster. Then keep it wet for a couple days or just fill the pool.

·
General Contractor
8,082 Posts
I havnt seen this crack but apparently my bro-inlaws pool has a 6" crack that I am going over to fix this weekend. Apparently he already bought whatever it is to fix the crack.

How do people usually go about fixing somthing like this? Chip open the crack a little, blow it out, hit it with bonding agent and put some sort of cement product on it I assume? Is is a poor repair job if it isnt injected with the repair product?

I dont know much about pools like this. I guess im going to learn :laughing:
When dealing with something like this, pool wall encounters outward loads due to shrinkage of soils, then you have shear pressure due to differential load, then you have a combination of both and more like loads from a thermal changes and the weight of the structure itself, etc, you need to do a structural repair.

You should use Epoxy injection with carbon fiber staples, that is the only way to prevent this from opening up again...

Good luck

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
if it was 10' long, I would say go with that, and using my method it may end up 10', but it will cost 50 bucks, not 1500 to fix it my way.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips. The crack is on the steps, up towards the top so if it leaks again it is easier to get to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts