Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone used those polyurethane foam crown moldings. It looks like it would go up easy but I'm not sure how it would look.

-Nathan

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I have seen rubber crown moldings and matching wall moldings. I think they look great and they take a good beating, and come in tons of colors, but I know they cost a bit more.

Reactions: overanalyze

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Find a local flooring store that knows what you are talking about, and they should have a distributer in town that may carry it, or can order from the mill. Johnsonite is an example of a manufacturer.
I know they retail up here for about 4 bucks a foot for some. It depends on style and colors usually.

·
Registered
4 Posts
nwingate said:
How much more do they cost and where can I find them?
:) You can find them by going to :
outwater.com

They are located in Phoenix, AZ. and will send you a free catalog. I'm in the process of purchasing some of them...They are costlier than wood but do go up easy.

Washout

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
I'm going to be needing about 200' of flexible molding for the house I'm currently building. We have an elliptical living room :eek: and of course all the interior and exterior doors are also curved to the same.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats going to look nice. Take some before and after picture so we can see the results!

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
This house is way over the top. We're just getting under way so it'll be quite some time before I ever see any flexible molding :) I'm trying to take pictures once a week of the progress - will be more frequent once we get into finishes.
23000sf home - around 400 tons of stone... 200 caissons in the basement alone with another 50 or so for the garage and terraces.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
23,000sf home !!!!! Thats a huge.
I know you told me about that before too but I didn't let it sink in, LOL.
Please take some picture of the project as it goes up. I love seeing those huge places go up.

How long is the build cycle?

U

·
0 Posts
registered user who forgot password...orto.. I am from Scottsdale, outwaters moldings are really pretty neat, even for an old wood guy like me. I have used them with great results in a top crown against the ceiling line, and then as a double crown, down about 10-14" and used outwaters 4 watt low voltage bulbs system for really great incandescent lighting effects. They are glued together, do not shrink and can be slightly sanded so that when you paint it always stays the same at the joint

·
Registered
46 Posts
Florcraft said:
Find a local flooring store that knows what you are talking about, and they should have a distributer in town that may carry it, or can order from the mill. Johnsonite is an example of a manufacturer.
I know they retail up here for about 4 bucks a foot for some. It depends on style and colors usually.
i have used the johnsonite rubber crown base on a couple jobs and personally i think it looks like crap. it is impossible for decent corners, especially outside corners. but it does go up a lot faster and with more ease than wood. so there is a trade off.

foam crown modeling i have seen but never used it. it seems simple enough work with.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
I know what your talking about

Your talking about crown moldings made out of styrofoam. I just seen them used on a home improvement show called Hometime. There only to be used uphigh not for baseboard. I think hometime has a website. Try typing hometime home improvement show for a internet search. I sure you can search there website. By typing in styrofoam crown moldings. Dean johnson the guy on the show said the reason why you should go with them is because there cheaper then wood :rolleyes: crown molding and there easer to install and more forgiveable when cutting . Once painted you cant tell the difference. I don't mean that one guy any disrespect but I have seen that rubber baseboard molding I think it looks cheap and tacky. I hope this will help you out . 747

·
Registered
21 Posts
What about that foam type of molding that is suppose to look good... I have been told that around wet areas that I should use foam for my crown molding to avoid mold issues in the future... Has anyone ever seen that type of molding and does it look ok??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts