Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a commercial building that had some flashing leaks and some windows that needed a re-caulk job.
They also have stampcrete poured up to the building wall. The homosote expansion material was mostly rotted away and full of weeds and moss. So I raked it out and instead of using an expensive caulking system, I used polymeric sand. I looked around and couldn't find it used that way. Anyone try it? Seems to me it should work very well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had a commercial building that had some flashing leaks and some windows that needed a re-caulk job.
They also have stampcrete poured up to the building wall. The homosote expansion material was mostly rotted away and full of weeds and moss. So I raked it out and instead of using an expensive caulking system, I used polymeric sand. I looked around and couldn't find it used that way. Anyone try it? Seems to me it should work very well.

As a test, I wet laid a flagstone stoop and instead of pointing it I wanted to see how polymeric sand would work. Just to try it. Sweep it in and mist it. I taped the edges until it set up. I figured if it failed so what, I'll take it out and point. That was three years ago. It is not waterproof though. If the joint needs to repel all water then poly is not the stuff to use.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
We just finished doing a large concrete paver patio using polymeric and once again i'm impressed by the product.

Your Question got me thinking. Around here there are many many concrete driveways that have treated lumber expansion joints. Many of these expansion joints have deteriorated over the years. Up to this point I have pretty much said that their is not much that you can do. Well I wonder if polymeric would do the trick?

I suppose it could also be used to fill cut concrete expansion joints. HMMM!

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We just finished doing a large concrete paver patio using polymeric and once again i'm impressed by the product.

Your Question got me thinking. Around here there are many many concrete driveways that have treated lumber expansion joints. Many of these expansion joints have deteriorated over the years. Up to this point I have pretty much said that their is not much that you can do. Well I wonder if polymeric would do the trick?

Ahhh, please send $$ 10% $$ of all polymeric/concrete expansion joint repairs to;
www.kaufmannmasonry.com :clap::clap:

·
Registered
909 Posts

I actually do this exact thing fairly often. It gives a nice finish to a deco job that has a lot of saw joints.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I actually do this exact thing fairly often. It gives a nice finish to a deco job that has a lot of saw joints.:thumbup:
Ok Great confirmation....my bag went from a bag of trick to a bag of tricks today.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts