Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a question on an issue I have now had happen to me twice. I am trying to finish a cabinet door project which are painted. After paint is sprayed and fully dried, I try to apply a sprayed polycrylic finish as a clear coat and to give some extra shine. The product sprays nicely and looks good right after, but after about 30 minutes of dry time is starts to crack. Which then forces me to sand back off the clear coat.

The polycrylic product is Verathane water based. The primer used was killz oil based, and the paint was PPG advanced and is latex. The doors are made of poplar rails and stiles and sanded birch plywood for inner panels.

Attachments

·
Stelzer Painting Inc.
187 Posts
Poly Wrinkling over Advance

The paint you used, Advance, is made by BM, not PPG. It's actually a waterborne alkyd, behaves like an alkyd, dries and levels like an alkyd, but it takes a long damn time to cure, (approx 28 days). Your problem is from applying the poly over uncured Advance, and more than likely, applying the poly way too thick.

There was no reason to put that acrylic poly over Advance. If you just would've let the Advance cure, it would've been plenty durable all by itself. If you wanted the wood to "shine" more than it did, you should've picked Advance Semi-Gloss or even their High-Gloss. You can still do it, and I'd strongly suggest you ditch that poly and switch to a higher sheen of Advance if that's the look you're trying to achieve.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Haha I sense some sarcasm there ….

well I was just scrolling and it’s an old thread so I felt no reason to back it up with a full explanation 😁

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Probably too much air movement over the surface when drying. It's skinning over on the surface while underneath it's still wet. The dryer level will shrink down more than the wet level. Ditch the fan, and raise the temperature of booth and drying area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
well he said he was using poplar which is very porous and the paint being a water based latex so probably penetrated deep into the vessels and didn’t let them dry out long enough and release moisture and the viscosity of polyacrylic is much more dense and the surface areas aren’t made to contract or expand like the latex paint does. So they just don’t go hand in hand unless they’re applied properly but that’s just m my opinion and previous experience I’m not saying that is factual . But hey You’re the painter guy you know more then me

·
Stelzer Painting Inc.
187 Posts
well he said he was using poplar which is very porous and the paint being a water based latex so probably penetrated deep into the vessels and didn’t let them dry out long enough and release moisture and the viscosity of polyacrylic is much more dense and the surface areas aren’t made to contract or expand like the latex paint does. So they just don’t go hand in hand unless they’re applied properly but that’s just m my opinion and previous experience I’m not saying that is factual . But hey You’re the painter guy you know more then me
The paint is a waterborne alkyd which is quite a bit different than a water based latex, but you're right about him not letting it cure long enough before applying the polycrylic. Between that and applying too heavy of polycrylic, it was doomed from the start.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts