Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay i got the caulk off of the wall that a not so smart worker forgot to peel the blue painters tape off before it dried.i realized it did not stick very good. i have used this many times on matte tiles but never glazed tile. am wondering if this would even stick to the 4 couner walls in the shower or if should just grout the corners and seal. has anyone ever used this polyblend ceramic tile caulk on really slick glazed tile. i tested it on a piece of tile and i can pick it off with my finger. are you suppose to be able to do this with polyblend? it was sanded polyblend

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
:no:

Do not use that in a shower. As per Custom's website:
"Do not use in areas with constant water exposure."

·
Captain California
83 Posts
Fix It Man:

I'm not trying to be rude, but all of your posts to date have been how to questions. It appears as though you may be a HO or do it yourselfer.

How about posting an introduction in the appropriate area? I'm sure everyone here would appreciate it if you would share some of your background and experience, as well as what part of the world you are located in. :thumbsup:

·
Master Tile Mechanic
202 Posts
Constant Water Exposure. Doesn't that refer to "below the waterline" as opposed to "frequently wet"?

·
Tiling & Bath Contractor
270 Posts
I use Polyblend custom color matched sanded caulk all the time on glazed tiles. It works just fine. You caulk corners (as per TCNA standards). Hope you know what TCNA standards are :blink:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I clean with alcohol before using any type of sealer on tile to get the best adhesion. But, personally, as good as the color matched sanded caulk looks, it doesn't hold up in a shower/ tub area. But, what else is there? Silicone is glossy & comes in white, almond & clear, but last for years. Sucks.
Steve

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Yeah stay away from caulk in a shower or bathroom. I lernt my lesson back years ago when the one and only time i used caulk it failed after just a year. Had to scrape it all off and do again with silicone. The only stuff that you can trust is 100% silicone. I have never had one call back from failed silicone.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
:no:

Do not use that in a shower. As per Custom's website:
"Do not use in areas with constant water exposure."
I went though a scenario about a year ago that was started by having some caulking that wouldn't cure. Turned out to be a manufacturers problem, but along the way we went through a nice roller coaster with the manufacturer specifically regarding that verbiage. It is on the tubes of caulk also I believe.

Coming directly from the manufacturer reps mouth - that is referring to pools or hot tubs or anything under water, not showers.

Silicone version is a better product but the acrylic is not the wrong product, just not as good as silicone. Silicone based is simply a step better.

A lot of caulking problems are due to

A) Not allowing proper time to cure before customers use the shower
B) Trying to fill too big of gaps due to bad tile installation.

Like I said, we went through a roller coaster ride over that stupid ass sentence.

A shower is not constant water exposure, and neither acrylic nor silicone based caulking will last forever.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Today we gutted a 20yr old shower. Nasty. We will be using all Schluter, corner trims, etc. I'll post pics, no caulking required. :thumbsup:

·
Tiling & Bath Contractor
270 Posts
In a shower?
YES. i use it all the time. I personally have it in my shower for YEARS now and not ONE problem. I've used laticrete color matched, 100% silicone, etc. It all depends on the color grout and what matches what.

Another issue is whether or not there's good ventilation in a bathroom. If there's very poor ventilation (like no fan), I'd only use 100% silicone. If there's adequate ventilation, then acrylic holds up just fine. :2guns:

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
What's this talk of no caulk needed? What do you do in the corners? Let an empty joint? You cannot butt tiles directly to each other. What if you get movement in the walls? The tiles have no where to go but, POP!

As Mike has already said, all caulk, silicone or not will eventually fail. The best way to resolve that issue....don't use it. Profiles all the way~!

·
Master Tile Mechanic
202 Posts
Tile go POP! Please. Grout go crack, that's the worst you will get. Never, in all my born days, have I seen the failure you predict. I'm well familiar with the thought behind the statement, just not the reality of it occurring as you describe.

My oft repeated comment to customers goes like this. I don't like caulk and I will tell you why. It breaks down in 3-5 years, it mildews, the color and texture don't match. In certain places it will do alright, but at a shower floor perimeter it is a no go and it will never have the lifespan that grout has. I use grout. If you get a crack, call me, I will touch it up no problem, but give it 2 months of use first. If it becomes an issue again, I will caulk it. I prefer to use clear silicone over top of the grout. This avoids the color issue.

To each his own, may the best man win and all that. Still, I ain't hearin' no POP! Scare tactics and doom scenarios make for a good movie, though. Now I could tell you some stories 'bout tenting, boy. See this scar. There was this rather large woman, waitin in line in front of me for her McNuggets, standin right about where you are now, when all of a sudden ......POP!...... (It's a whale of a tale and it's all true, I swear by my tattoo)

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Tile go POP! Please. Grout go crack, that's the worst you will get. Never, in all my born days, have I seen the failure you predict. I'm well familiar with the thought behind the statement, just not the reality of it occurring as you describe.
Hmm, if 2 corners are tiled butted together...as in no grout/caulk joint, you sayin they can't pop? I respect your experience but I'm not buying that big mac.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts