Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, finished a new maple floor with oil based poly on it. When the humidity started to rise from May to June, we started to develop these "poly balls" in the expansion joints. Now the installer said it was normal but I can believe the amount of poly raising out of the joints. This is 2 of maybe 100's.

Any experience with this? I just cant bele3ive the size of them, some are quarter in diameter. I would not think there is that much poly in the joint to squeeze up. We Are told wait till winter and buff and recoat to fix.

thanks
Wood Flooring Interior design Floor Laminate flooring
Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain Paint

·
Registered
Windows, Roof, Siding
78 Posts
"
What Can I do if Polyballs Have Formed on My Floor?

If the polyurethane beads are still wet to the touch, avoid any contact with them until they have hardened. If you attempt to wipe up the semi-soft polyurethane forced to the surface, you’ll likely smear the wet coating creating a visible patch that can only be improved by sanding and recoating.

Once the polyballs have dried, it’s sometimes possible to scrape them off along the cracks using a plastic putty knife or scraper. Please remember that it is easy to scratch the “good” poly finish so work slowly and gently. If you’re lucky they will pop off and not leave a visible mark.

However, if the floor is riddled with polyurethane bubbles or you’ve smeared the beads, your installer will need to sand and refinish the entire floor. Spot refinishing almost invariably leaves a visible line where the repair has been made."

·
Registered
FL CBC / SC RBC / SC RBI
599 Posts
That is massively excessive. I've seen it happen but never to this extent. The entire floor is going to need to a scrape and refinish.

Reactions: hdavis

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes we are planning on it, but nobody has ever seen it this bad. I was challenging the comment from the install that " this is not the abnormal...."

·
Registered
FL CBC / SC RBC / SC RBI
599 Posts
Yes we are planning on it, but nobody has ever seen it this bad. I was challenging the comment from the install that " this is not the abnormal...."
There's always going to be a few spots where there was an excessive ball of splooge right at the seam that bubbles through.
For it to happen to this extent is unheard of.

·
Registered
Remodel
35,720 Posts
The newer, lower VOC finishes seem to take much longer to dry than the old ones. I allow a few days per thin coat. My guess is that had a thick coat.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Out of spec on exspanion joints?
Out of tolerance on relative humidity?
failure to vent locker rooms / showers properly?
faulty vapor barrier under gym floor.
broken water, sewer or roof drain pipe(s).

Counterfeit lumber species and or grading, improperly sawn logs?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts