Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of gun (or guns) do you guys use most often?

We use senco guns for everthing.

15ga 2 1/2 for crown, doors, closets, rail
15ga 1 3/4 for base, casing, shelves, chair rail
18ga 1 1/4 for shoe, picture framed casing, etc
18ga sapler for misc tasks (1x2 on bottom of cabinets, etc)

What do you guys use?

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
For finish guns I always like senco's guns. I used to have a stapler and still have my finish nailer. As for framing nail it's the Hitachi hands down.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Porter Cable for everything for me - brads, staples, 16ga, 18ga, full round framer. I buy them at ToolKing, refurbished, they practically give them away there so it doesn't make anysense for me to buy anything else. I will be buying a Dewalt 18 volt cordless finish nailer as soon as possible, anything to get free of that damn compressor.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Got 8yr old Senco for framing 10yr old paslode (trim/framing) Bostich trim, brad, staples and senco micro pinner, great for miters and returns.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'm with Mike and PC, I get most failures from external damage, very few from the tool.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
PC for me too. I'm going to have to consider a cordless this year though. The last two jobs I did last fall were a real pain in the a$$.

On one my compressor blew every circuit in the house, even the garage which should have been a 20A. It was a deck so I managed by hand nailing the frame and skirting(the deck boards were screwed down).

The other one I had the problem with was 120' of fence and deck. The compressor worked from the garage but I had to run hoses all over the place - I refuse to hand nail a fence! LOL

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot to mention, all the Senco's we use are the old ones (with the flat gray coloring). The new ones with the black and gray flake paint seem to last only a few months before a driver or oring goes. The old guns are workhorses all year long. We usually replace the drivers every year anyway, but most of the time they dont need it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
PC-FR350 full head framing nailers, PC 15ga, Bostich angled 16ga (only three months old - don't know how well it will hold up), Senco 18ga. Senco 23ga stapler. I don't have a pin nailer yet - not sure if I will use it. Like Teetor said - abuse is the biggest problem.

Crankshaft

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Hey Crankshaft, I use my brad nailer about 6 times a year it seems, but when I use it, it is usually because it is the only tool in the box that will acomplish what I need to do, and I always praise that little brad nailer for being there!

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
I have a question for you guys that like the PC framing nailer. How often do you use your nailer? I use a gun 8 hrs plus a day 5-6 days a week. When I frame.

·
Registered
66 Posts
We framed four houses last year plus all the remodels with two PC FR350's. One is two years old the other is three+ years old. No problems with either nailer. The guys are good about putting in three or four drops of oil every morning when framing. Can't say that happens on remodels since they aren't used every day. I will buy another PC whenever I need one.

Crankshaft

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Crankshaft said:
We framed four houses last year plus all the remodels with two PC FR350's. One is two years old the other is three+ years old. No problems with either nailer. The guys are good about putting in three or four drops of oil every morning when framing. Can't say that happens on remodels since they aren't used every day. I will buy another PC whenever I need one.

Crankshaft
Thanks the reason I ask is I know this kid that bought one. The only one I ever seen in action.He was real neat and didn't beat it up or use it like a expensive hammer. Unlike me hehe
We ended up partners on a piece jig for a minute. His was a couple months old and need to go to the shop. Convienently so did my Hitachi. (This was before I worked on them myself) We both got our bill his was way higher and half what the gun cost. My hitachi is old and beat the hell up but a work horse none the less. In defense of the PC (since I will only buy their tiger sawzall) the repair shop of M hardware is a bunch of hacks any way. After going through 2 driver in a couple short months I crack the gun open and found out the bumper was no bueno. Those bastards did even bother to check it. Bumpers are like 20 bucks. I guess they figured that if the drivers kept breaking that they would be in the money.

But even from what you said I think these guns would be better for light nailing and not high volume production. I remember when Makita thought they could make a nail gun. LOL I bought a Hitachi and a buddy bought two Maks for about 150 dollars more than my hitachi. Well after a six or nine month he sold them for like 150 a piece. Then told me I wish I would of bought hitachi. LOL

Though I am not comparing the PC to the Mak. I have more respect than that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We have 5 Paslodes that go 8hrs. a day that are 5 years yes years old and still going strong! We allso have a Hitachi for subfloor all frameing guns.

·
Registered
15 Posts
linving in canada we can have some pretty harsh winters, so far the only guns we've used that could stand up to the coldest of weather,paslode, also hitachi is a good gun. For finishing I like Airy.for staple guns we use hitachi.I think that paslode guns are probably the most popular framing nailer here in Edmonton. But I wouldn't be suprised if Bostich isn't a close second. Paslode cordless nailers are also very common around here, being able to use them for roof framing they have came in very handy, also I see many other sub trades using them.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I like the one that can put a 4" nail in your head and you don't notice until the dentist finds it.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts