Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checking to see it any of you work on polaris water heater made by american water heater co? We had one put in our home and the this is not running well at all and the Co. keeps sending parts but nothing seems to fix it. :cry:

·
NICKTECH
273 Posts
well if you need to remove the air intake to the burner, it sounds like it may be a restriction problem. are you sure its the air intake, how many pipes are there. if just one then its the exaust. in any event there may be a design/install problem with the size of the pipe.send a pic if possible.
check out pg. 7 thru 11 on that site i sent in the other post for polaris.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Polaris

We have one pipe for intake and one for exhaust. The unit is currently piped to the exact specs I have been on the phone with American water heater company and sent them e-mails with pics and they are also stumped because they say everything is picture perfect all vented the way it needs to be. I am having the local gas company come over per their request because the can't figure out what the problem is either.
Would this restriction problem only show up at night because that is the only time it does it. In fact it runs smooth all day long until night time and then it starts to rough start. Potential gas line problem at night???? What about maybe the condesation drain line it drains but do you think that might be playing a problem.

NickTech said:
well if you need to remove the air intake to the burner, it sounds like it may be a restriction problem. are you sure its the air intake, how many pipes are there. if just one then its the exaust. in any event there may be a design/install problem with the size of the pipe.send a pic if possible.
check out pg. 7 thru 11 on that site i sent in the other post for polaris.

·
NICKTECH
273 Posts
perhaps the difference with it running during the day is air temp. the colder nights may be freezing something causing a restriction, however there should sensor for that. being that unit is not shutting down, only running rough i would think that was it. the only thing i can think of is the air mass at night is heavier and denser with alot more oxygen and cause a bad fuel air mix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gas pressure

Just a quick note back!
I had a friend with a Manometer coem over and we hooked it up and the the gas pressure was way off the company says to have the WC at 0.0 and it was way up at 6.0 wow turned in the screw and got it all the way down to 0.25 WC and it has worked great now. Interesting that it was not factory preset like the company said it was. But at least now I can sleep through the night.

NickTech said:
perhaps the difference with it running during the day is air temp. the colder nights may be freezing something causing a restriction, however there should sensor for that. being that unit is not shutting down, only running rough i would think that was it. the only thing i can think of is the air mass at night is heavier and denser with alot more oxygen and cause a bad fuel air mix.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought the biggest, best one they make in August of 2003 and had to replace the motor in Feb. of 2004 and then replace the whole thing again in July of 2004. Less than 1 year and I went through 2 motors and an entire unit. The unit leaked and water got into the blower and thus ruined it. I called them and they made me get a pressure test performed to make sure it was leaking!!!! The fact that water was running out of the bottom of it and through the blower was not enough I guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts