Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any thoughts on using polaris taps on the load side inside of the meter can i know their are alternatives. just posting the question is it permissable?
thanks

·
Registered
391 Posts
any thoughts on using polaris taps on the load side inside of the meter can i know their are alternatives. just posting the question is it permissable?
thanks
Since nobody bothered to answer you over yonder, I will. Yes, depending on how much fill area you have in your load side of the can. I have done it oodles of times. There are many other rules to consider when doing it. I would suggest code study.

·
Carbon Dioxide Producer
782 Posts
NEC 312.8 references Enclosures for Switches or Overcurrent Devices.
That could be a panelboard or a meter/disconnect combo, but I don’t think it would include a standard meter socket unless the meter socket has a bypass, since that might qualify as a switch.
I don’t think the meter itself would qualifiy as a switch though, at least as defined in Article 100.

Either way, the splices and conductors are not allowed to fill the wiring space to more than 75% of the cross sectional area of that space.

·
Baltimore Electrician
1,249 Posts
thanks
Also, you might want to check with the POCO (power company). They usually would have some say about the cash register can... I mean meter can.

·
ampman
783 Posts
Also, you might want to check with the POCO (power company). They usually would have some say about the cash register can... I mean meter can.
i agree most poco have rules against it which superseed nec.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts