Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
This is no joke......I wish you could send some winter this way. 70° here today. I hated it!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Nothing really different since Al (global warming) Gore of out of Washington.

We already had the "Polar Vortex", which was predicted a few days before. Now we have the second step-son for a few days. It got up to 0F today (-5F now) and headed for about -15F tonight. We did have a ground snow blizzard of sorts today when the older dry snow was blown around and redistributed. Winds today from the NW gave a fictitious wind chill of about -20F. No problems if you control what you are doing. I took my SUV in for a complete exterior and interior clean because there is not slush or slop to get it dirty. Just pulled into the garage after the stray water, etc. dried off on the way home.

It is nice to be able to drive without having to squirt juice and run the wipers because everything is frozen and there is no slop and the sun and wind evaporate/transpire any snow or ice. It makes me happy to not be 200 miles south or on the east coast with snow and a mess now.

Last night, I drove past the now previous "Metro Dome" in Mpls and the lights were on as a beginning of the demolition to make room for the new $1,000,000,000 stadium project (24/7 for scheduling and efficient construction) to open in 2016. Weather changes, but economics are a constant.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I'm not framing but(nice guy that I am) I scheduled my dumpster for a basement gut for this week rather than last week so we wouldn't trash their yard walking around on the wet turf.... The ground is firm now.

·
Design Build
8,311 Posts
Polar Vortex?

Must be some new term coined for effect.

I remember high school and college............(no drugs or booze) and that term was never used.

People often want to think that they live in the most amazing or difficult time....simply because its what they are personally experiencing.
People are lame.

It's winter. It's supposed to be cold.:eek:

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Weather is what it is for your desired location. You just have to make the best of it since you cannot change it.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
We had a lot of schools running with a 2 hour delay as of last night.

This morning at about 08:00, our school cancelled. I thought, "wft?"

Seems 17 of their 51 buses would not start. These are new buses, first used this past fall. The busing company also said their internet and phones were down, so they would not be able to field calls from parents if they sent out less than their whole fleet. I'm not sure how much of this is bs.

This is our third "cold" day cancellation since the winter break.

I imagine some bastard or team of bastards is out at the bus barn as I write, installing 51 block heaters on those buses. They made it sound like it was a fuel problem and I wonder if they have enough sense to use winterized fuel and/or an additive.

·
Read Only
16,993 Posts
Friend drives for Clarkston Schools. Said she got the call already tonite for school cancel tomorrow. Busses are new(ish) have special preheaters they run for 1/2 hour before cranking the engine. But they won't start in this kind of weather.

"Polar Vortex" - the good Mr. Al Roker brought in his college meteorology book from 1959 to the Today Show - and circled "Polar Vortex" for the national audience to see.

Regardless, "Polar Vortex" sounds like something the starship Enterprise would get sucked into.

So my theory is, Capn Kirk is a fvckin commie liberal, deliberately flew the Enterprise into a wormhole - just so he could come back and forge "Polar Vortex" into Roker's school book - before the guy went to college.

He then found another wormhole just so he could come back to 21st century cable TV and do another interview series, and do some more commercials.

Now you know why I don't dare do drugs...:laughing::laughing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5k4Xz65zjU

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
"Polar Vortex" is actually a pretty descriptive term for winter weather and its variations.

It wobbles around the "north pole" and changes the winds and in some years the poles have temperature that is slightly lower.

We see this every winter when we get the "Alberta clipper" moving from the NW is that is a cold wind from Alberta of all places (duh?). Typically a couple of very cold dry days, followed by some warming days and precipitation (1-3" snow that is light. fluffy and dry). As the vortex wobbles, the cycles changes about every 3 to 5 days. So far we have seen many come through and give us a 1-3" snow, but the snow coverage on the ground does not increase too much because the light snow actually evaporates. Today we had a high of -4F and the sun was burning off the snow/ice in the parking lots with no run-off because of the low humidity. When the cold snap breaks we will get some higher temps (up to somewhere between 5F and 32F) and another 1-3" of snow followed by a cold front. We do get a lot of "black ice" on the roads in the cold periods from the auto exhaust freezing in a thin layer in the cold mornings that evaporates (not melt) with the sun.

It is a strange process. "Black Ice" and "wet snow" are terms that everyone recognizes immediately since the TV weather staffs pound it into your head to increase the audiences.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Polar Vortex sounds like the name of a beer, served in a can, slightly frozen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts