Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing drywall hanging and finishing (commercial) for several years but just recently heard the phrase "pointing" or "pointing up". Can someone tell me what this means?

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
It's the technical term for the adhesive strength of the bonding surface that compound is applied to beyond the cap.........

Hell I don't know, never heard it.

Bob

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Just a guess.... perhaps filling the area where the drywall abuts another material like a block wall, metal door and window bucks, or at the corrugations of the roof for a fire rated wall.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Depends on in what context it was used, I would guess. I've heard it used as in the meaning of touching up, pock marks, scratches, etc. any bad spots that will be seen after painting for slick finish. But most commonly heard as "touching up"

·
Registered
169 Posts
Mudd Dogg said:
Depends on in what context it was used, I would guess. I've heard it used as in the meaning of touching up, pock marks, scratches, etc. any bad spots that will be seen after painting for slick finish. But most commonly heard as "touching up"
not a drywaller here, but thats how I've understood it too...kinda like "punching out" a punch list.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys, for all the replies. I suspected it meant something like touching up, just wasn't sure. Been away from the business for a few years and thought maybe some new lingo had emerged during my absence. Anyway, thanks again.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I have always heard of 'pointing' in brick and stone. New to me in drywall, might be a regional term.

·
Registered
227 Posts
around here it means making sheetrock touchups after the first color coat is applied. you can see imperfections better with a little color on the walls.....

·
Registered
395 Posts
around here it means making sheetrock touchups after the first color coat is applied. you can see imperfections better with a little color on the walls.....
Same here

I think it's a North vs. South thing. North of the Mason Dixon line it's "touch up". Down here, it's always been "point up"

Like Kenvest said, done after the first coat of color. Then the spots get spot primmed and coat of color.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Received 2 bids today.

The first described it as "point up".

The second described the work to be done.

The third painter didn't show and didn't call. He must be doing a lot better than me these days... It would be a different thread for sure but maybe just maybe it was the insurance talk that scared him away.

·
Commercial Contractor
2,025 Posts
I spent my whole life in the commercial drywall trades in one form or another.

Always been called point up here. Touch up is what you do with paint, and tuck pointing is what you do with masonry.

Least here in the good ol' Delmarva area.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts