Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I walked into a Hilti center today and looked at their lasers. I was looking at this point laser.

It cost $394.83

I asked him why it cost so much more than the Stanley lasers, he said these are more accurate. Then he looked it up in his catalog and said this laser is accurate to 1/8" in 30'.

So I left and looked at this Stanley point laser at Home Depot.

This one cost $199.00

And they advertise the accuracy at 1/4" in 100', which is the same as 1/8" in 50'. That is not less accurate than the Hilti at 1/8" in 30'.
I am confused at the differences, is there any reason to pay more for the Hilti one?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True Hilti offers a warranty, but I don't see how that would affect their lasers. Their warranty only covers use from wear and tear, not abuse, so if you dropped it they wouldn't fix it. And I don't see how you could put wear and tear on a laser, all you ever do with it is let it sit there.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Check this out.

Accuracy +/- 1/8 inch at 100' and toolup.com has a special for only $351.00. It includes carrying case, pouch, floor target, and wall bracket. I have the PLS90 and have had no problems with it.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whats the advantages of these lasers? I use a auto level rotary one quite often but am wondering what these can do and are they worth a purchase if i allready have a roatary laser?
They are cheaper, faster to set up, can shoot a 90, and can shoot plumb. They are good mainly for smaller projects, if you're someone who does foundations or excavating all the time, then the rotary laser would be the way to go.

·
Pro
670 Posts
Whats the advantages of these lasers? I use a auto level rotary one quite often but am wondering what these can do and are they worth a purchase if i allready have a roatary laser?
I have pinned a lot of footings and they make it easier than doing it with levels.

Bill

·
Registered
264 Posts
plslaser.com

Good lasers( dropped mine a couple of times ) they are accurate to and 1/8" over 100' and are durable.

I see Stabila's lasers are so pricey, yet they dont compete spec wise with pls, leica or any others ( dont mean to hijack the thread ) curious as too why this is?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Hilti offers a calibration service for their laser tools.

Stanley can't even make a tape measure, hammer or level properly, why would I ever trust their point laser?

·
strat hd
1,695 Posts
Check this out.

Accuracy +/- 1/8 inch at 100' and toolup.com has a special for only $351.00. It includes carrying case, pouch, floor target, and wall bracket. I have the PLS90 and have had no problems with it.
When these 5 beam lasers first came out about 8 years ago or so I bought one from a company called Robo Vector. Mine does'nt have the indent in it for plumbing walls. It came with a gauge target to place beside the top plate for plumbing walls. Never used it for plumbing walls as it seemed like too much of a hassle.

When snapping lines on a very cut-up foundation this tool came in handy. I would snap lines after pulling paralell's then place the laser at the corners to establish 90 degree angles. Remember this was only used on very cut-up stuff. I would have one guy at each corner of the 90 holding a speed square on the foundation and rotate the laser till it hit both points and adjust accordingly.

Sure I can do the math but this method was much quicker. The first few times I tried this I checked lines for square and it was allways on.

Works for me.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Lasers have been so good for what I do in trim carpentry, railings, columns and cabinatry. Pls LAsers are alway's on the job, never have failures and they are very accurate...

Would recommend over alot of companies...

·
strat hd
1,695 Posts
Another way I have used it is for laying out ceramic tile in an old house. When the room is'nt parallel or square you can set the laser down and move it around till you find the best layout. In cases like this it's all about reveal at the walls and making it look the best you can.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think that extra accuracy with the PLS lasers would be worth the price. But I wonder if they are really telling the truth with their 1/8" to 100'. Maybe Hilti is just honest, so they call it 1/8" in 30'.

I was also thinking of just getting the PMC 36 combilaser:

This one cost $557.24 and is accurate to 1/16" in 30', and shoots lines as well as dots. The lines would be nice, the dots sometimes can be a pain trying to find them. You need one guy with a scrap piece of plywood or something to find it, then a second guy to turn the laser. But with the lines, you could find it easy with one person.

·
Registered
264 Posts
go shoot that line from around 30 feet on a pls 180, take a level over to that line and i will garentee u absolute accuracy!!!... Hilti is like mercedes, It looks good, works well and are durable, but you sure pay a helluva alot up front when the lexus does the same trick ( more economically ) imo.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
go shoot that line from around 30 feet on a pls 180, take a level over to that line and i will garentee u absolute accuracy!!!... Hilti is like mercedes, It looks good, works well and are durable, but you sure pay a helluva alot up front when the lexus does the same trick ( more economically ) imo.
It probably would be if you checked it that way. I've always wondered how they check or calibrate laser and transit levels. I was on a job once where we had a transit level that fell off a trailer, and we were using it to frame a stepped foundation. We were wondering if it was really accurate and were trying to think of ways to check it, like comparing it with a water level. I don't see how you would check it when you're comparing it with a 30' or 100' distance. When buying a brand new one, I don't know if that would really matter in my work, but I would feel better knowing I had the more accurate tool.

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
The combi is one bad mama jamma. It shoots the lines from the side to the front. That with the red glasses and you will see perfectly outside even. I guess great for tiling, etc. ALmost like a rotary as you get the 180 degree.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
It probably would be if you checked it that way. I've always wondered how they check or calibrate laser and transit levels. I was on a job once where we had a transit level that fell off a trailer, and we were using it to frame a stepped foundation. We were wondering if it was really accurate and were trying to think of ways to check it, like comparing it with a water level. I don't see how you would check it when you're comparing it with a 30' or 100' distance. When buying a brand new one, I don't know if that would really matter in my work, but I would feel better knowing I had the more accurate tool.

To check it you do what is called a "two peg test". This will work for optical and laser instruments, and is easy to do. Just do a web search for a "two peg test".

·
4,617 Posts
I believe Hilti also has a repair price cap. You only pay so much, no more.

Will Stanley even repair a laser?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts