Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a client who wants converging pocket doors between two parallel 2x4 walls . Walls are to be sound proofed so that is the reason for the two walls . If I space the walls 3 1/2 inches and put the door track between on its own framing I assume I can make it work without using the split jambs . The other quirk is that this is on a concrete floor with in floor heat and they want no tapcons in the floor so everything is to be set with adhesive . I was going to put the pocket doors in one of the walls as usual but they want both jambs to be equal so between the walls it goes.Has anyone done something like this before or do you see any flaws in my plan to meet their wishes . Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats the fatal flaw , they want french doors and I expect they will be open most of the time anyway.

·
Resident Pain
2,424 Posts
I have a client who wants converging pocket doors between two parallel 2x4 walls . Walls are to be sound proofed so that is the reason for the two walls . If I space the walls 3 1/2 inches and put the door track between on its own framing I assume I can make it work without using the split jambs . The other quirk is that this is on a concrete floor with in floor heat and they want no tapcons in the floor so everything is to be set with adhesive . I was going to put the pocket doors in one of the walls as usual but they want both jambs to be equal so between the walls it goes.Has anyone done something like this before or do you see any flaws in my plan to meet their wishes . Thanks
I have done it this way myself with good results. Just pressure fit with a fair amount adhesive and I scored the bottom of the plate to help the adhesion. Just make sure it is not too much pressure as it with bow out and look super stupid. :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
THe IRon Piñata
171 Posts
Sounds right.. So the doors will meet in the middle... Then the jamb pieces will be spilt to allow door to meet in middle for closing .. Just give yourself enough room to be able to hang track and be able to hide it. The doors we hang are always wider on one side for stop. Figure out the top from the bottom. They are different sometimes. Have to cut top to fit on most pocket doors we hang.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Parallel walls for sound-proofing, but the doors will negate it? Hmmm. :whistling Sounds like some client disappointment might be coming down the pike. How about making the door edges at least interlock/shiplap or something like that? And leave a good bit of the doors in the pockets when closed, of course. Adjusting their expectations might be in order, too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts