Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Crystal Ball Malfunction
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any suggestions? I was recently asked to install a pocket door in a relatively small master bath where one side of the wall I would be installing a tile tub surround ( quartzite natural stone 1" x 2" brick lay mosaic) approximatley 30" x 5'. Is this feasible? Also, the wall is of actual 2" x 4" dimension with lathe and plaster as well as a plastic tub surround. So I believe I have approximately an extra 1.5"s of room to work with. I was considering installling a floor to ceiling sheet of 3/4" plywood (glued and screwed to the pocket door verticals) to install the 1/2" hardibacker over to improve the overall stability of the wall to accomodate the weight. Any sugguestions??

·
Crystal Ball Malfunction
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure. I currently am employed by a GC / Licensed Electrician. We do all kinds of work. Mostly remodeling, although we are in the process of building a 52' x 27' single story. He subs out some of the work (foundation, rough framing, HVAC) but we usually undertake electrical, sheetrock, flooring, cabinets, tiling, siding, roofing, installing windows, hanging doors, and finish carpentry. As for the pocket door, ( Ive done a couple but the wall is usually less than solid) its a left handed tub and the wall would be the right hand side of the tub with the other side of the wall being in a hallway. Im really just looking for an opinion on if the added 3/4" plywood would give the added stength that Im looking for. Im estimating an added 200 - 300 lbs would be hanging on the wall due to the natural stone tile, hardibacker, etc. Thanks for you opinions.

·
Dan
4,822 Posts
1/4 on walls? 1/2 is for walls, even if you did put 3/4 ply over the small studs that come with the pocket door hardware. make sure you get the heavy duty more expensive model of the johnson pocket door kit. I have also taken 5/4 or 2x material and screwed it to the wood strips in the kit to make them even stronger. if you can get 2x's on there, that would work also and not have to get the sheet of 3/4 over it.

I hate pocket doors. even when done perfectly, they eventually have problems.

·
Registered
121 Posts
and to build on that:

... I have also taken 5/4 or 2x material and screwed it to the wood strips in the kit to make them even stronger. if you can get 2x's on there, that would work also and not have to get the sheet of 3/4 over it.....
I've also used a vertical angle iron to stiffen the the walls near the door opening. I didn't like the amount of flex in the wall the last time I installed a pocket door....

·
Crystal Ball Malfunction
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input, think i might try and talk them into that wall mount sliding. Looks like functionality will be the same as the pocket door, without playing with the integrity of the wall.

·
Super Moderator
10,521 Posts
I don't think the weight of the stone is the biggest concern here. The flex in the wall is. Go with Apgars suggestion to strengthen the wall.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts