Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to set the sanded plywood near the corner of a room, directly overtop the low-pile carpet having minimal padding. Onto the surface, laminate /engineering flooring may or may not be applied.

The plywood will have the purpose of both acting as a level support for an artist easel (preventing tipping) and for the carpet to prevent any damage from spilling or seepage. So the sheet must maintain its shape (actually too - to help maintain the integrity of easel base in the long turn)

Will the plywood warp if not framed in some way (metal / stud)?

Since I would rather not elevate in to a platform style, and with wear due to continuous shifting of a body near the edge AND from a standing easel, centermost, can plywood maintain its level?

Would a treatment with a chemical wood hardener help?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply,

I've considered the plastic mat, and a concern is that is isn't level enough.
And am still considering it.

The beauty of the plastic though is that there is some flexibility.
Whereas with the plywood, I might be tipping the while thing like a raft when shifting arund it, giving the rigidity.

I can't pull up the carpet and lay tile, which would be optimal

Some artists throw an extra cut/remnant of carpet on top, which is economical but this can add to the 'tipping' factor.

·
Contractor
4,726 Posts
3/4" 7 ply cabinet/shelving plywood. I recall some time back there being small pyramids used under hi performance speakers-the idea being that the bass transmission throught the cabinet into the flooring system would lessen (less damping??). These would be a great use for your situation. Your best bet in finding them may be at a hi-fidelity home audio store.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,011 Posts
MDF, Particle board with a veneer on it. It would look nice and retain its shape will. If you surround it with a tapered solid board it would be very resistant to the edge getting chipped/gouged

·
Registered
9 Posts
:blink:"chemical wood hardener"????

Just paint a sheet of 3/4 ply both sides, it will stay flat. and spills, drips and aw shoot are easy to clean. use an enamel or acrylic. melamine paint would be easiest cleanup though,...:devil:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts