Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to build a new house, but having trouble getting materials. Local lumber yards do not have enough OSB to cover the outside of the house, but I did find one that had enough ½ inch, 5 layer, plywood. The house will then be wrapped in Tyvek (58 perm) or Typar (12 perm) not sure which one to use and then bricked. Will the climate in Kentucky be too humid for the 12 perm wrap? Any pros or cons on the ply wood, OSB or the house wraps?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Sorry guys gotta disagree with you on the plywood. I used to use 1/2 inch ply for my roof sheeting and am still getting callbacks on a few homes. Since I started using OSB my call backs have dropped to zero. As for shear panels plyboard is easier to work with and its cheaper here in So. Cal. Unfortunatly most engineers are specifying OSB for shear.
FYI Simpson Strong Tie will guarentee a roof if you install their "PC" clips As specifyed in their catalog/manual. Good cheap insurance if you ask me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Call me old-fashioned but I use 1/2" plywood wall sheathing and 5/8" plywood roof sheathing with #30 asphalt saturated felt underlayment. It might not be perfect but I believe it creates fewer problems than OSB with housewrap.
I don't believe 1/2" OSB or plywood provides an adequate nail base on a roof.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,858 Posts
mighty anvil said:
Call me old-fashioned but I use 1/2" plywood wall sheathing and 5/8" plywood roof sheathing with #30 asphalt saturated felt underlayment. It might not be perfect but I believe it creates fewer problems than OSB with housewrap.
I don't believe 1/2" OSB or plywood provides an adequate nail base on a roof.
Couldn't agree more, - - on all points. :Thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looked at the so called 5 layer ply wood and it was only 3 layers, and flimsey. Would this be better than the 1/2 OSB on the walls.

I will be using 1x12's on the roof.

Still can not get a n answer fron Typar on their house wrap...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,471 Posts
I'm not putting oversized particleboard on my jobs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Personally, I would stay away from Tyvek or Typar. Both of them have casued major issues here in Oregon. In fact I work very closely with the largest waterproofing contrator west of the Mississippi and they will not guarantee any of their work if Tyvek is to be used on the building. Everyone out here is going back to Aspahltic building paper and kraft faced insulation and why not, it worked without fail for the past 70 years. Try Super Jumbo Tex 60 min paper..... works great.


Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,858 Posts
And exactly why I try to avoid all the 'marketing-hype' of these newfangled materials, - - just because you hear 10,000 times a 'great' it is, - - doesn't make it so.

The 'test-of-time' never lies!!

OSB, for one, is a joke, at best, always has been (they should at least throw in some 'sympathy' cards), - - but what really scares me these days is the new ACQ 'treated' wood. That stuff is gonna' be a problem.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,292 Posts
Tom R said:
but what really scares me these days is the new ACQ 'treated' wood. That stuff is gonna' be a problem.

What use z-max rated steeland or double hot dipped galvanized nails and nervastral any metal in contact with ACQ that isn't 3/4" or thicker.

Or am I missing something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,571 Posts
JustaFramer,

When I nail my joists into the ACQ sills, I use ACQ rated nails. When you frame, do you use ACQ rated nails to shoot your joists into the ACQ sills?

Joe Carola
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,292 Posts
Yep double hot dipped galvanized framing nails and z-max galvanized steel that is what is required by the Building dept. Building Inspectors check for dhdg nails when the crawler is inspected. Square Washers are z-max or dhdg all jbolts are 3/4" or bigger.

DHDG nails are like 100 dollars a box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,858 Posts
JustaFramer said:
What use z-max rated steeland or double hot dipped galvanized nails and nervastral any metal in contact with ACQ that isn't 3/4" or thicker.

Or am I missing something?
Yes, - - Simpson has already 'relieved' themselves of any liability associated with Z-max fasteners, - - they can already see the 'writing' on the wall, - - they've already started to fail, - - use an 'isolation' membrane in-between hangars and joists, - - use copper flashings, - - and use an absolute minimum of 1/2" thickness for any bolts, - - and yeah, ACQ nails and 'rated' screws. If you're attaching composites to ACQ framing, - - and using regular 'coated' deck-screws, - - the sheer density of the composite will strip the coating off the screws, - - then they will fail in the ACQ.

Then stop answerin' your phone, - - 'cuz within a few years we'll all be gettin' sued!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,292 Posts
You talking about on a slab. Haven't done a slab in awhile. ACQ sill's are bolted down to the foundation with 3/4" j bolts and z-max hot dipped plate washers. All nail fasteners to be double hot dipped or equivalent. All with in the requirements of the building department.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,292 Posts
Tom R said:
Yes, - - Simpson has already 'relieved' themselves of any liability associated with Z-max fasteners, - - they can already see the 'writing' on the wall, - - they've already started to fail, - - use an 'isolation' membrane in-between hangars and joists, - - use copper flashings, - - and use an absolute minimum of 1/2" thickness for any bolts, - - and yeah, ACQ nails and 'rated' screws. If you're attaching composites to ACQ framing, - - and using regular 'coated' deck-screws, - - the sheer density of the composite will strip the coating off the screws, - - then they will fail in the ACQ.

Then stop answerin' your phone, - - 'cuz within a few years we'll all be gettin' sued!!

You have a link to the Simpson/ z-max debacle? This is interesting. As I just read the spec for z-max last summer that simpson published. That is what the building dept was basing their theory on. I think I will be wrapping the ACQ lumber in nervastral.

That could be scary stuff for fasteners and hardware to fail because
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,858 Posts
JustaFramer said:
You have a link to the Simpson/ z-max debacle? This is interesting. As I just read the spec for z-max last summer that simpson published. That is what the building dept was basing their theory on. I think I will be wrapping the ACQ lumber in nervastral.

That could be scary stuff for fasteners and hardware to fail because
No, sorry, don't have the link, - - just remember reading all the horrid details (JLC maybe??), - - I'll try to find somethin' on it.

But for your own sake, - - do use extra pre-cautions, - - I foresee a real nightmare down the road.
 
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Top