Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Plumbing problem?

4K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  VinylHanger 
#1 ·
Im a painting contractor with a plumbing issue at my house. House was built in 1986, and in the basement there are two 4" pvc lines exiting through the concrete basement wall.

One line goes into the first septic tank from a sump pit in the basement floor - which I understand, no problem.

Line #2 comes from a small sump pit in the floor that drains only a perimeter tile on the inside of the basement wall - sump pump never runs - always dry.

My question is, where does the line for #2 "usually" run once it gets on the other side of the basement wall? I want to do some landscaping above these pipe along the house, but wondering if I should just avoid landscaping in that area for fear of roots from schrubs?

#8 ·
Well, if it's 4" that's usually a sign of a storm sewer. If you don't have that then maybe it's a system where it drains into a makeshift french drain. If that's the case then roots would be a problem.

What depth does it exit at below final grade? If we had that number this would be easy to solve.

Mike

#10 ·
Yea, what you have is a french drain type of situation where the clearwater crock gets dispersed under ground instead of the typical system of pumping it on the finish grade.

The pipe would have holes in it and roots would be a concern.

Photos would be a plus of course, but at 2 1/2 feet i'll bet that's what it is.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.