Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I've always kicked myself for not having a plumb laser and doing it the old fashion way so I ordered up a Hilti PMP 32.

It was a total impulse buy, was it a good idea? What do you lads use? Until now the only one I touched as a Dewalt and I loved it.

Thanks fellas,

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
theres tons on e-bay, i was gonna list my robo toolz 5 beam laser. but there only going for $75 so its worth keeping!

hope you got a good deal at least, i know i been buying alot of festool lately on ebay!!:thumbsup:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I got it used for a steal locally, I believe the guy upgraded to a multi-laser model...which after getting this one I'm sure I'l want to upgrade right away!

i know i been buying alot of festool lately on ebay!!
Nice, Festool almost give me a hard-on, except I'm not really a fine carpentry kinda tradesman so I can't at this point justify buying one piece (because I know if I get one I'm a total sucker and wil want them all despite the fact I don't need them!).

Honestly lads, if you wern't going to take advantage of the sexy dust extraction system would their sander/jigsaw be worth the extra coin?

Thanks!

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my neck of the woods Bosch power tools (not cordless) have jumped up in price quite a bit, their wormdrive saw is $370 now! The jig saw isn't exactly cheap either, around the same price as a Hilti IIRC; so in comparison the jump to a Festool wouldn't be that dramatic. I almost got the hilti a year ago when the strong voice or reason (yes her) reminded me that I use my old 10 year old black and decker with the broken foot about twice a year ;)

At the moment I've been too busy eye-ball humping the Fein Multimaster and thinking of all the nifty things I could do with it, looks like a better choice for my next tool plung.

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
In my neck of the woods Bosch power tools (not cordless) have jumped up in price quite a bit, their wormdrive saw is $370 now! The jig saw isn't exactly cheap either, around the same price as a Hilti IIRC; so in comparison the jump to a Festool wouldn't be that dramatic. I almost got the hilti a year ago when the strong voice or reason (yes her) reminded me that I use my old 10 year old black and decker with the broken foot about twice a year ;)

At the moment I've been too busy eye-ball humping the Fein Multimaster and thinking of all the nifty things I could do with it, looks like a better choice for my next tool plung.
Bosch has a 12v version. Can't go wrong with cordless. Works just as well

·
Super Moderator
10,670 Posts
The plumb laser has changed my life. First one we bought was the robotoolz 3 beam for 80 bucks. Worked well especially for building basement walls. Then I bought the 5 beam dewalt. Truly remarkable. We invent new things to use it for all the time. I plumb walls with it by myself, use it to square up tall walls, check foundations for sq and level. Got two of the dewalts for $100 each on ebay.

·
improving homes
1,034 Posts
You will find a lot of uses for it. I use mine all the time. First time I used it was when I worked for a commercial steel stud and drywall company and they only used lasers. Hardly ever took out a level, had the 5 beams(pls and hilti) and the rotaries(topcon and hilti). We had a deal with our local hilti rep that every couple months he would take a couple lasers to be caliberated for free. Not sure if all hilti reps do this or not but might be something to look into. Lasers make work so much easier for someone that works alone or even if you have a crew you don't have to have someone help you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts