Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that is in the final stages of completing his house. For a better rate on the fixed financing he used another bank and told his construction loan bank a month before completion. Here is the strange part. After all that was told an inspector for the bank shows up and says all the plugs are upside down and the ground has to be on top new code change. He subed out the electrical and all i have ever seen was the gound on bottom. What is you opinon. Is the bank messing with him. :evil:
.o [ ]
[ ] o

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
This totally bogus. Unless it is some weird local thing.
Politely ask him for the code refrence citing this requirement. If he can't produce the exact refrence, & as long as you are OK everywhere else, tell him to go scratch.

·
Registered
89 Posts
are you in w va? thats insane. we put the rept upside-down so that nothing can come to rest on the n and hot. imagine a plug half in the outlet, and then imagine something falling between the plug and the recp. if it is ground up it will be harder for anything to find purchase and cause a short. generaly used in commercial / factory, a good idea i assure you, but not practiced in residential. :confused:

·
Electrical Contractor
214 Posts
This is bogus. There is no up or down. It is either personal preference or job specifications. Not Code unless there is some local rule which the inspector should be able to cite.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Mike, I was reading the NEC 2005 a few weeks ago and I think that inside out is wrong. :cheesygri

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Mike,

What way do you angle them? This way, / or this way \ ? And, what about receptacles that are horizontal to the floor - should the ground be on the right or the left?

This poses another question for me, should stove receptacles be placed at 45 deg., so they look like a diamond???

:D

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
DecksEtc said:
should the ground be on the right or the left?
HELLO! The ground goes down - towards the GROUND!?. Pleeeeeease.

Similar codes in the pipe industry that require the 'hole' to always be manufactured on the inside of the pipe. We have a strict rule that any pipe that gets delivered that has the hole on the outside (inside out) doesn't even get taken off the truck.

·
Electrical Contractor
744 Posts
I think you would have to have the ground pointing north, when in a north/south line, and the ground facing east in an east/west line. I never did like the insideout outlets.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
ryaniniowa said:
I worked at a shop for a year that insisted all the screws holding the wall plate on had to be straight up and down. Even if meant leaving it a bit loose. He brainwashed me and now if I see one sideways I have to turn it.
I need to hire you, it would save me time from walking around and turning all the screws in one direction.

Its a small thing, but if you take care of the details the big problems take care of themselves. I have never had the nerve to ask an electrician to put in all the screws in the same directions, so I just go around and turn them myself at some point.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i harp on that all the time. its a pro thing, how ever i m not sure about leaving them loose. and ... im not sure why they should be vertical. it just looks better i guess.

·
Registered
56 Posts
the code doesnt state the direction of the ground exept for the part that state equiptment shall be installed in the maner that it was intended by the manufacturer
that being the case if there is a top (what you will find on some outlets and switches)that is the direction it is to go

as far as the screw cover screws go mike i think all the years of hearing the general sigh in the next room and pulling out a screwdriver and straightening the screw in the vertical position, has wore me down when i put on a cover for the last five years or so i give that little .5 second tweek and walk away knowing that atsome point he wont carry that screwdriver and i can wink at him as we walk out the door both happy.

·
smartazz contractor
81 Posts
I have heard that the gruond should be up. So that when an object such as a paper clip falls on the outlet the ground prong will deflect the object this preventing a dead short. I have also heard it is code but not read it myself

·
Registered
2 Posts
The General said:
I have a friend that is in the final stages of completing his house. For a better rate on the fixed financing he used another bank and told his construction loan bank a month before completion. Here is the strange part. After all that was told an inspector for the bank shows up and says all the plugs are upside down and the ground has to be on top new code change. He subed out the electrical and all i have ever seen was the gound on bottom. What is you opinon. Is the bank messing with him. :evil:
.o [ ]
[ ] o
to whom it may concern, i have never installed plugs grounds up and i have installed my fair share. grounds down always !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts