Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the strangest conversation with a customer today. We installed 4 windows in his house. He was a bit of a PITA some quick background some one else installed 3 windows and was asked to leave. We got the call to go and finish the job, this is one of my install contracts. So i was paid to go and inspect the problems from the first guy. We got the contract to go and finish the install and correct the problems from the first guy. So Today the customer called me direct and says that the light over the kitchen sink is not working properly. The bulb keeps blowing, customer says that he has changed the light fixture and the switch. We installed vinyl windows into a clean rough opening using the screws that the manufacturer supplied, (jeldwen) the length is 2 1/2". If the house was built to code and inspected my thoughts are that there is no possible was we could have contacted a wire with a screw. Am I off base? If we did contact a wire wouldn't the breaker blow instead of the light bulb?
The house is about 30yrs old, I'm guessing aluminum wire? What do you think? Thanks.

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
I think your customer is trying to get you to pay for his electrical problem. Maybe he even did the same thing to the last guy and that's why he's gone.

Do you think you screwed up and drove a nail through a wire?

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Ditto on what Mag said as far as the HO trying to get you to handle his problem.

Another thing it might be is that he keeps replacing the lamps from a box that has been dropped a few times. Have him try some fresh bulbs from another source.

·
Banned
490 Posts
Maybe you could drop off a few 230v bulbs and the problem will go away?

It could be that the nearby cabinet doors get slammed quite often?

I can't imagine how you could have hit a cable with a screw if the window opening is framed in a conventional manner.:confused1:

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Can light and the new window cut off draft to cool it?
That thought crossed my mind too. He didn't specify the type of fixture the HO replaced. If its a can, the thermal protection could have kicked in. Even disturbing insulation in the attic can knock these things out. Hopefully if it was a can light and this is the case, its IC rated.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,230 Posts
So Today the customer called me direct and says that the light over the kitchen sink is not working properly.
I'm not entirely clear on whether he's asking you to fix this as a warranty issue on your work. If that's the case, he has no claim since he's been diddling around in there.

But no, about the only way you could have caused such a problem by driving a screw into a wire would be if you somehow managed to contact and apply 240V to the supply line without popping any breakers. IMO, the chances of that are about nil or less.

·
Registered
85 Posts
can lights

Well if we are going with the can light theory, the lamps will not blow it would just open the circuit.

I would recommend to: 1.replace fixture. 2.take a voltage reading at the fixture 3.ring out the wires

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Well if we are going with the can light theory, the lamps will not blow it would just open the circuit.
We both know that but the OP and HO may not. No theory yet, the OP hasnt responded. If it's the thermal protection opening the circuit and the HO was assuming it was the bulb, (and he replaced it quickly) my thought is by the time he replaced the bulb it would have had time to cool off and close the circuit again.

Just a thought.

·
Banned
490 Posts
We both know that but the OP and HO may not. No theory yet, the OP hasnt responded. If it's the thermal protection opening the circuit and the HO was assuming it was the bulb, (and he replaced it quickly) my thought is by the time he replaced the bulb it would have had time to cool off and close the circuit again.

Just a thought.

Maybe the HO is throwing out good bulbs. Maybe OP could ask HO to save the "bad" bulbs, then check them.

·
Philadelphia electrician
346 Posts
Then there is always coincidence.
...and there is always the possibility that the thing has sucked forever. [old, loose connection burns/overheats lamp, bad rivet at neutral causes overheatiing, blah blah blah]
then there is the homeowner repair lotto:
"Ever since you came and worked on my doorbell, the toilet runs all the time and the roof leaks. I want you should fix this!"

I just reread the original note. The homeowner changed the fixture? ...all bets are off! Apologize for his problem and tell him to call an electrician.
There is one chance in skibillions you have anything to do with this. ...and if it was you, how much do you lose fooling around with the light [which you {respectfully} don't fully understand...do you really want to become an electrician over this?] when you could be out installing windows. [I wouldn't replace a door I broke, I would call YOU, as it were.]

·
ampman
783 Posts
i have had service calls where a nail or screw has hit just the hot only and have made window /door frames hot , talk about a suprise, meter the frame to ground and read 120 v

·
Registered
428 Posts
chance

I think it's more of a fredbillion to 1. These things really irk me. Lately, when we redo old boobytrapped houses, I make the contractor or owner walk around the whole house with me before the job starts and look and check out everything to see if it works before we start. Like checking out a rental on car. Or even have them sign a disclosure that they know everything works fine before you start. With all these boobytrapped handyman special flipped houses we all better make it a habit before we start the job. It takes a little time but better than losing your ass on something later because of folks like the above. I don't make them sign anything just verbal for the moment. They would have to be a major dickhead to argue later. I agree with all of the above for solution!

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
I think it's more of a fredbillion to 1. These things really irk me. Lately, when we redo old boobytrapped houses, I make the contractor or owner walk around the whole house with me before the job starts and look and check out everything to see if it works before we start. Like checking out a rental on car. Or even have them sign a disclosure that they know everything works fine before you start. With all these boobytrapped handyman special flipped houses we all better make it a habit before we start the job. It takes a little time but better than losing your ass on something later because of folks like the above. I don't make them sign anything just verbal for the moment. They would have to be a major dickhead to argue later. I agree with all of the above for solution!
Don't forget to take a picture of the cracks in the concrete driveway.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That thought crossed my mind too. He didn't specify the type of fixture the HO replaced. If its a can, the thermal protection could have kicked in. Even disturbing insulation in the attic can knock these things out. Hopefully if it was a can light and this is the case, its IC rated.
Sorry guys fell asleep:whistling the fisture in question is a surface mount hanging fixture. Don't know what the ho has replaced it with. This was an install from two weeks ago. My initial thoughts were that he is trying to get me to pay for a problem he created, or that was pre existing. Thanks

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not entirely clear on whether he's asking you to fix this as a warranty issue on your work. If that's the case, he has no claim since he's been diddling around in there.

But no, about the only way you could have caused such a problem by driving a screw into a wire would be if you somehow managed to contact and apply 240V to the supply line without popping any breakers. IMO, the chances of that are about nil or less.
Yes his feeling is that it is my responsibility scince in his mind it never happened before we installed the window. I explained that if everything was built correctly there should not be any chance that a wire could be exposed to damage. Thanks

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We look over the surrounding area to look for dings dents, paint chips, any scuffs on the floor. As a standard part of our work myself and the guys all wear shoe covers, we place drop cloths from our entry point to the job location. we do this to avoid this kind of b.s. Thanks

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Then there is always coincidence.
...and there is always the possibility that the thing has sucked forever. [old, loose connection burns/overheats lamp, bad rivet at neutral causes overheatiing, blah blah blah]
then there is the homeowner repair lotto:
"Ever since you came and worked on my doorbell, the toilet runs all the time and the roof leaks. I want you should fix this!"

I just reread the original note. The homeowner changed the fixture? ...all bets are off! Apologize for his problem and tell him to call an electrician.
There is one chance in skibillions you have anything to do with this. ...and if it was you, how much do you lose fooling around with the light [which you {respectfully} don't fully understand...do you really want to become an electrician over this?] when you could be out installing windows. [I wouldn't replace a door I broke, I would call YOU, as it were.]
I explain to the ho that he would need to call an electrician, his feeling is that he shouldn't have to pay for said electrician since the light was ( appearently)working before we did our work. Thanks

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks to all that replied my thoughts were that the HO was trying to :censored: me and get me to fix a pre existing problem.
I have made my rep by standing behind my work but this just felt bad from the word go. I will post any new news thanks again for your input.
Chad!:notworthy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts