Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Californiadecks said:
I read an article that said chiropractors are possibly the biggest hoax in medical history. However my father swears on them too. But I've just never had luck with them. I know a lot of people like them. I think the reason I don't have any luck with them is I get bad muscle spasms. They are very painful to the point I'm walking with a cane. But that's soft tissue.
I'm sure I'll catch flak for this but I don't buy in to quackopracters either. There's no way of "adjusting" my back out of bulging disks or degenerative disk disease. I think a lot of the exercises guys have put on here are good for maintaining good back health. There are several that a good therapist can give you. I had a bulging disk in the mid 90's and went to therapy for a while, which gave me enough range of motion to really f**c my back up. Herniated a disk and was curled up on my sidewalk when the squad arrived. Had a diskectomy and about a 3 month recovery. Then I had sciatica on the other side. I took cortisone injections every 4 months for a couple years till my pain doctor put me on 1200 mg of Gabapentin (a nerve pain drug) daily. That was in 2001 I haven't had a shot since and have very little back pain. I even took a fall a few years ago where I had a couple hairline fractures in my lower vertebra, but recovered from that just fine. I've known several people who have taken this also, but it's about 50/50 on whether it worked or not. I'm very fortunate.

·
Super Moderator
46,504 Posts
kiteman said:
I'm sure I'll catch flak for this but I don't buy in to quackopracters either. There's no way of "adjusting" my back out of bulging disks or degenerative disk disease. I think a lot of the exercises guys have put on here are good for maintaining good back health. There are several that a good therapist can give you. I had a bulging disk in the mid 90's and went to therapy for a while, which gave me enough range of motion to really f**c my back up. Herniated a disk and was curled up on my sidewalk when the squad arrived. Had a diskectomy and about a 3 month recovery. Then I had sciatica on the other side. I took cortisone injections every 4 months for a couple years till my pain doctor put me on 1200 mg of Gabapentin (a nerve pain drug) daily. That was in 2001 I haven't had a shot since and have very little back pain. I even took a fall a few years ago where I had a couple hairline fractures in my lower vertebra, but recovered from that just fine. I've known several people who have taken this also, but it's about 50/50 on whether it worked or not. I'm very fortunate.
I believe there quacks also. They can really damage a person with there voodoo.

·
Contractor
8,213 Posts
Any of you guys try Acupuncture?

Works awesome for me.

Who figured that chit out?...
The Chinese figured it out, a long time ago...:chinese:

Yes, don't know why or how, but it works.

Literally crawled into the office. Was at first unbearable to lay on the table. She got my knees propped up and put a pillow under one side of my butt to provide some pressure. Able to breathe without wincing in pain. Needles go in, you do not feel them. Pain subsided considerably but still hurt like hell. Sent me home & said give it a couple of days.

Unbelievable the relief & no side effects.

Chiropractors scare the bejeezus out of me.
I have to agree with Griz.

I had pretty much the same condition, crawled into the acupuncturist's office, sort strolled out.

I highly recommend it.

I was referred to the acupuncture by a friend who has bad arthritis, I mean really bad, she goes for pain relief of her condition.

It works, try it.

·
Registered
Remodel
35,635 Posts
Not all chiropractors are equal, by a long shot. The one that could actually move my back had me come in once a week for maybe a month, then every couple weeks for another month, and then I was done. She kust said to come back if there was pain again. Funny thing is, I just tweaked by back again a couple days ago:sad:

·
Registered
664 Posts
A good bed is critical. I swear by ibuprofen. I used to take prescribed opiates for pain but that was not a good long term solution. I've witnessed too many hardships from both legal and illegal opiate addictions.

·
Registered
Custom
15,541 Posts
My wife had a bulging disc and could not move. Ambulance came... went to very prominent hospital in our area. Their diagnosis was pain meds and rest with possible surgery down the line.

She went to the chiropractor, and he had her moving again in the first visit, and in subsequent visits had her back 100%... that was about 3-4 years and no problems since... she also had a problem with her hip after she torqued it (on the inside joint). Very hard to walk. Chiropractor had her walking again in first visit, and in a couple more with this exercises he gave her, she not longer has that problem.

No shots, no surgery, no down-time...

Neither certainly fixed themselves, so I would agree that not all chiropractors are the same, but the same is certainly true of doctors...

A lot of chiropractors practice acupuncture and electrode therapy also...

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Chiropractors can definately help certain situations, especially if it involves alignment issues. The treatments for alignment can be painful initially, but will eventually help the problem. I have been there, along with one of my past trim carp. foremen. Mine was more a result from sitting on a fat wallet for too many years. His was more complicated. Eventually we both got a lot better. There are a number of Yoga back excersises that helped me gain strength & tone in the muscle groups that support the spine. I highly recomend them. Most are as simple as laying flat on your belly, hands at your hips, & doing various leg lifts, & moving legs side to side. They will tone, the back mucles, & help with vertabrae alignment.

Herniated disks are a different problem. They are way more compicated to fix, & usually need rest to heal at a minimum.

About three years ago, we switched to a "Sleep Number" air matress bed. It took me about a month to get used to it, & then it was great. It had been a long time since I had slept through the night, & now it's pretty common. My back has been reasonable for about the last 10 years or so, but I am very carefull about what I try to do.

Best of luck,
Joe

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I've had the elctrode treatment also that KAP mentioned. What it does is help tone, & at the same time help relax the muscles. It seamed to help me a lot.
Basically, chiropractors are all about improving alignment. If that's your poblem, they can definately help.

·
Registered
Remodel
35,635 Posts
I believe there quacks also. They can really damage a person with there voodoo.
I thought this as well, but was convinced otherwise a few years ago. IMHO, it takes some looking around to find one that's decent and won't bleed you dry with ineffective treatments forever. Some of the very careful ones will Xray to make sure it isn't a degenerative bone disease, or something like that.

·
Registered
Custom
15,541 Posts
I thought this as well, but was convinced otherwise a few years ago. IMHO, it takes some looking around to find one that's decent and won't bleed you dry with ineffective treatments forever. Some of the very careful ones will Xray to make sure it isn't a degenerative bone disease, or something like that.
All doctors x-ray for anything back-related... they need to be able to see, but it is also part of the milking process... :whistling

I've yet to be to a chiropractor who has x-rayed me... first thing they did at the hospital for my wife's bulging disk is x-ray...

·
Metal Stud Framer
180 Posts
Honest answer huh..

If you are 10 years or less in the trades then GET OUT.
If you like being involved in construction grab your CM degree, drop the tools and make some great things.

If you're 10 year or more into the trades..
GET OUT.
Get your CM degree, drop the tool bags and complain about carrying a laptop around everywhere you go.

I blew out my neck now 4 and C5 are fused by a piece of my hip bone.
My hip bone IS connected to my neck bone.

Few years later I blew out my lower back.
L5-S1 had a BAK Cage fusion with titanium cages.

While my neck did good my lower back has basically ended my life through the complications that adhere to such surgeries.

At 49 yeas old I finally took my own advice.
I dropped my tools and got my CM degree.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Zendik said:
Honest answer huh.. If you are 10 years or less in the trades then GET OUT. If you like being involved in construction grab your CM degree, drop the tools and make some great things. If you're 10 year or more into the trades.. GET OUT. Get your CM degree, drop the tool bags and complain about carrying a laptop around everywhere you go. I blew out my neck now 4 and C5 are fused by a piece of my hip bone. My hip bone IS connected to my neck bone. Few years later I blew out my lower back. L5-S1 had a BAK Cage fusion with titanium cages. While my neck did good my lower back has basically ended my life through the complications that adhere to such surgeries. At 49 yeas old I finally took my own advice. I dropped my tools and got my CM degree.
He has a degree but he will never quit, born and raised hard worker. We went to college together

·
Registered
Remodel
35,635 Posts
All doctors x-ray for anything back-related... they need to be able to see, but it is also part of the milking process... :whistling

I've yet to be to a chiropractor who has x-rayed me... first thing they did at the hospital for my wife's bulging disk is x-ray...
I went to one. It's a long story, but he was very good.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Chiropractors are equivalent to witch doctors or fortune tellers.

The nature of back pain is it waxes and wanes, you go to a chiropractor one day, pay a pile of money and feel better in a couple days so you go back.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
All you guys talking bad about chiropractors either have never been to one or have never been to a good one. They actually go to college for 15 semesters and most of the classes are the same as other doctors. It takes time to get your back in line correctly, and pain meds are about the worst thing you can do. All they do is numb the pain. Pain is you'd body telling you something is wrong

·
Super Moderator
46,504 Posts
jlsconstruction said:
All you guys talking bad about chiropractors either have never been to one or have never been to a good one. They actually go to college for 15 semesters and most of the classes are the same as other doctors. It takes time to get your back in line correctly, and pain meds are about the worst thing you can do. All they do is numb the pain. Pain is you'd body telling you something is wrong
They are nor even close to a doctors education.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
There is no scientific to indicate that they do anything. The only reason the schooling is so intense is because there is only one school that you can go to in Ontario to become a "Registered Chiropractor".

41 - 60 of 128 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.