Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 128 Posts

·
Super Moderator
46,504 Posts
I read an article that said chiropractors are possibly the biggest hoax in medical history. However my father swears on them too. But I've just never had luck with them. I know a lot of people like them. I think the reason I don't have any luck with them is I get bad muscle spasms. They are very painful to the point I'm walking with a cane. But that's soft tissue.

·
Registered
285 Posts
polishhammer92 said:
If you don't mind me asking not trying to sound like a Dick how old are you and does RA run in family?

Believe it or not I am only 48. It is Osteoarthritis ... It didn't run in the family.... And I am not a fat Fu?k. Ohh... I preferred Advil !

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Sept of 2012 I had lower back pain like never before, and for no reason. Went to a chiropractor and have been doing regular visits ever since. I now go ever 6 weeks for a tweek.

I had a hard time buying into continuing the visits once I felt better but glad I did, for the low cost my back is now pain free.

I have become very aware of how I lift, sit, twist etc.

·
General Contractor
499 Posts
Sciatica, Aaaaagggghhh! Does that bring back a 3 month nightmare from a couple of years ago. Doesn't matter whether sitting, standing, kneeling, lying on back, side or stomach, that pain does not subside.

As others have mentioned, stretching of hamstrings, glutes, piriformis. Get an MRI first to rule out hip, bulging disk, tumor, etc.

I found using an NSAID along with a muscle relaxant helped tremendously during the first few weeks of stretching.

Best thing that has kept me pain free is cycling and Pilates (on the reformers, not a mat class). Get a trainer that is certified and understands rehab.

Hope you feel relief soon. I don't wish that pain on anyone.

Btw, not sure why anyone would provide less than an honest answer.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Damn, how could I forget? If you can convince someone to give you a foot massage , with your socks on(thumbs slide instead of sticking), there is a spot in the arch of your food that magically makes the pain disappear for about 10 minutes. There is another pressure point on or near your ankle bone( instep side of foot). try it you'll like it!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Believe it or not I am only 48. It is Osteoarthritis ... It didn't run in the family.... And I am not a fat Fu?k. Ohh... I preferred Advil !
Only reason I ask is ra runs in my family bad and my grandfather had back issues all his life and I'm not heavy at any means either. Ive got some serious thinking to do

·
Retired Moderator
24,786 Posts
Yes, don't know why or how, but it works.

Literally crawled into the office. Was at first unbearable to lay on the table. She got my knees propped up and put a pillow under one side of my butt to provide some pressure. Able to breathe without wincing in pain. Needles go in, you do not feel them. Pain subsided considerably but still hurt like hell. Sent me home & said give it a couple of days.

Unbelievable the relief & no side effects.

Chiropractors scare the bejeezus out of me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yes, don't know why or how, but it works.

Literally crawled into the office. Was at first unbearable to lay on the table. She got my knees propped up and put a pillow under one side of my butt to provide some pressure. Able to breathe without wincing in pain. Needles go in, you do not feel them. Pain subsided considerably but still hurt like hell. Sent me home & said give it a couple of days.

Unbelievable the relief & no side effects.

Chiropractors scare the bejeezus out of me.
Thanks griz gonna have to check that out

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
I herniated a disc a few years ago. I'm 6'4", 210 and was whimpering like a baby when I had that - excruciating. After more than a week of hell, including sleepless nights, feeling the referred pain to the ankle (it felt like I broke it and somebody was pressing on it....), I finally figured out what you do:

Lay on the floor (on your back) in front of chair, couch, whatever. Put your legs up on the chair, couch...whatever. This will release the pressure and relax/ flatten your back. Do not stretch - that's for after you heal, if anything. Sleep on the floor, if you must. I slept on the floor, on my back, with triple pillows under my knees for about 6 months. Only way to give it rest at night.

Now I'm fully healed and much wiser. No more bending over and reaching/pulling chit out of the van. That's a bad one. When I do, I use anything but my back. Now I lift stuff a lot differently, too. Not that anyone would notice, but I am very conscious of my back.

Good luck with it.

21 - 40 of 128 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.