Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is any way that can tell the size of BTU from an old Lennox condensing unit with model number HS16-411V-7P? Also the A coil with model number C16-41-1FF? Thanks!
c1238

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dairylander!
I did try the best to find out myself and even my hvac supplier could not tell the size of the btu on this old unit. I do not see anything wrong in asking for help on this matter. By the way, I am an EPA certified and licensed contractor. I believe I also qualify to ask this question.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
HS16- 411V-7P
Means 41,000BTus. Its rated as a 3 ton.
Lennox rounds down to the next lower size ton.
Since 41,000 is not 3.5 tons, it is rated as a 3 ton.

Its always best to do a load calc to see what size is really needed though.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Genecarp, what is so inappropriate about this guy's question that you would just dismiss him like that?

Dairylander, Contractor Talk, as you know is site designed for contractors and construction proffessionals to discuss there various trades. One thing that often happens here is Homeowners posing as tradesman join our site and immediatley launch into questions about various aspects of construction, i think it is obvious why this does not help our proffession. Secondarily, hacks that operate unliscensed and uninsured join CT, They generally launch immediately into asking questions about everything from tile setting-----to pouring foundations, CT is not here for them. When i see a new member, who fails to fill out the profile completely, who fails to introduce themselves formally and tell us a little about there proffessional exp, i get suspicious. Do i know the TS is not legitimate, i am certainly not sure, but i need to see more than 7 posts, 6 of which are questions, in order for me to take him seriously. GMOD

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
So it's guilty until proven innocent...
No, its a just a fact of life, When you start to work with a new client, on day 1 do you get the keys to the castle, or is there a process that takes place, where they come to know and trust you over time, what where you guilty of when they first met you? Prenups----does the request of a prenup indicate guilt, Call it what you want, i percieve it as a way of protecting the industry that i love. GMOD

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
So this guy wants to know how many BTUs his condenser has.
How exactly is that a threat to "the industry that you love"?

Newsflash---Generally when someone inquires about something, there is a reason behind it. Of coarse if as you imply he is just asking for no reason:rolleyes:, and plans on taking no action with the info that he has requested. Then you are correct, it will not effect the industry, if however he asking in order to take some action, like change a part, or spec a unit, and he is not a licensed hvac proffessional, then it would effect the industry. I am sorry if you had a problem with my suggestion for him to consult with a proffessional in the field that his question pertained to, but i stand by my response, and officially give up on trying to explain, maybe someone else can better explain this concept to you, regards GMOD :thumbsup:

·
Registered
56 Posts
So why didn't you just ask him:
"Are you looking to change a part? Or spec a unit?"

Instead, your first response was "Go away."

I understand your theory, I just disagree with your tactics.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your useful reply beenthere. My other supplier found out the BTU today for this old unit from their Lennox catalog and it was exactly as you indicated. I did get a 3 ton replacement unit (condenser & matched A coil) and it will replace the existing unit sometime next week. The reason that I don't think I need to do a load calc is because I can find the BTU based on the model number from the old unit that was installed when this house was built in 1988. Also, the owner claimed that this old unit was working very well except for a leak somewhere which I believe will not be worth the money to perform the leak check. Thanks again!

Also, sincere thanks for Dairylander's kindness. Please stop wasting valuable time discussing matters with people who do not understand and think that they are the only professional in the trade. I have been in this trade for more than thirty years and have owned my company since 1985. I never believe that I am the best mechanic or deserve more respect than others. I respect everyone who deserves it and give my help to those who need it. All my present-day clients are rooted in referrals from my original clients twenty four years ago. If I can stay in my business for twenty four years it already indicates that I am a professional. The profile information and the amount posts in CT is not important and does not determine who is a professional. On your trade license exam or application do they ask how many posts you made on contractortalk.com? A professional is a professional! It would be a perfect world if everyone understood others like Dairylander!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts