Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I'm kinda a contractor but I do more drywall and interior than I do construction work.. So I hope that some of you former contractors can help one out... Thanx..

I have built a few things before and I working on a 24x30 building using 2x4x8 (pre cuts) as the walls..

My questions are..

1) I ordered 15 trusses at 24" centers and going to use OSB (Prob 9/16" on the sheeting) Is this ok ??? We get snow sometimes up to 3'

2) Pre Hung doors I was told to use a rough of 81" tall by 38" wide ? Does this sound right.. using two 2"x8"x38" as a header plate to hold the weight of the load bearing roof.. ? Does this sound right ?

3) I was told by the lumber company that windows are at a rough fit if the package on the window says 36"x48" that means the rough fit ? Is that right ?

4) How in the world do you seal and tack down a pre hung door on a concrete slab ? I wanna seal it the right way so that bugs do not get under it or over it ?? Any ideas on this ??

Last question ----BIG ONE......
I ordered 24' trusses with 1' overhang and I was thinging if I ordered the same with a high pitch so that I could have storage above say a 7/12 or more pitch roof? Would this be possible with 2x4x8 studs as supports or should I have used 2x6's ?? To support the weight above ?

thank you all as this is my first post and I appreciate any help that you guys may provide..

thanx
Jody

·
Registered
386 Posts
:eek:

I Hate When That Happens !!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
mpisinc said:
Hello,

I'm kinda a contractor but I do more drywall and interior than I do construction work.. So I hope that some of you former contractors can help one out... Thanx..

I have built a few things before and I working on a 24x30 building using 2x4x8 (pre cuts) as the walls..

My questions are..

1) I ordered 15 trusses at 24" centers and going to use OSB (Prob 9/16" on the sheeting) Is this ok ??? We get snow sometimes up to 3'

2) Pre Hung doors I was told to use a rough of 81" tall by 38" wide ? Does this sound right.. using two 2"x8"x38" as a header plate to hold the weight of the load bearing roof.. ? Does this sound right ?

3) I was told by the lumber company that windows are at a rough fit if the package on the window says 36"x48" that means the rough fit ? Is that right ?

4) How in the world do you seal and tack down a pre hung door on a concrete slab ? I wanna seal it the right way so that bugs do not get under it or over it ?? Any ideas on this ??

Last question ----BIG ONE......
I ordered 24' trusses with 1' overhang and I was thinging if I ordered the same with a high pitch so that I could have storage above say a 7/12 or more pitch roof? Would this be possible with 2x4x8 studs as supports or should I have used 2x6's ?? To support the weight above ?

thank you all as this is my first post and I appreciate any help that you guys may provide..

thanx
Jody
LOL !!!!
Your ok with 2x4 studs at 16" o/c. I would go with the higher pitch roof trusses as it will help with a snow load and give you a bit of storage.
Becareful about overloading that bottom chord of the trusses. If need be, do some country boy *****'nrig and make up 1/2" thick suppliment gussests from plywood and glue and nail both sides. Best wait till the inspectors gone, as they get funny about modifying an engineered product. Better yet :, talk to your truss supplier and see what they can do met your loading demands.
Be perpared to pay a bit more for the roofer and the guy laying the sheeting.
Question ones thru three: Yes
No# 4, lay a couple of beads of silicone down. The lower half of the threshold has concrete nails pre-set, once your square and happy, slam them in. Good Luck :Thumbs:

·
Registered
313 Posts
No# 4, lay a couple of beads of silicone down. The lower half of the threshold has concrete nails pre-set, once your square and happy, slam them in. Good Luck
Yeppers! And your door, if ordered as exterior pre-hung, should come with the threshold and door undercut. The only thing you may want to do, but prolly unnecessary, is to add a weather sweep at the bottom and weather stripping on the jambs. I wouldn't bother unless you had bad drainage outside the building and/or conditioned air on the inside.

EDIT: It bothers me that the word threshold isn't spelled "threshhold". I really need to get a life. I'll get on that right away...brb!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts