Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just getting into the business and I have read horror stories about Trex. Can someone advise what the best current composite product on the market is as far as durability and mold prevention?

Thanks!

·
Workin' Hard & Havin' Fun
1,763 Posts
Don't list your trade as "custom decks" unless you know about decks...

Then use the search feature to see what's already been said.

Lastly, why don't you talk to Trex yourself, and see what they have to say for themselves? Then talk to TimberTech, Fiberon, Moisture Shield, Azek, and a few others...

There are a lot of good options, and just asking a simple questions won't get you the info- you need to invest the time into searching, reading, and studying.

HTH,
~Matt

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
Depends upon YOUR area. Some products work better in some areas of the country and dont work at all in others. I almost get tired of saying this...

Tomorrow go to your supplier and get 2 samples of every decking they have. Next take 1 of each and put them in the elements and keep 1 in your garage. Wait 1-2 years... NOW you can sell a product based upon what it will do and look like over time rather than brand new. Showing customers brand new samples is deceptive and bad business in my opinion. Show them what they are truly getting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Most composites are good, few (if any) are great.

I would recommend talking to your local lumberyard. They have seen more material than all of your local contractors combined. They have seen it sit on the ground (for extended periods of time), they have seen it transported and handled, they have dealt with manufacturer reps, and they've dealt with homeowner and contractor complaints. Your local lumberyard is a huge resource!
I am one of the contractors that used Trex "back in the day" and swore I'd never use it again after the projects turned out great, but looked awful after maybe 6 months of being in the elements. I just returned from a Trex "Walk the Walk" session and am contemplating giving Trex another shot, but I am still quite gun-shy...
We use a lot of TimberTech on our docks and a fair amount of Azek (not really a composite). They each have their strong points, so you do need to do your homework.
I also own an outdoor furniture company that only makes high-end furniture out of composite materials (Deccessories). We have had a lot of success with Evergrain (only with the furniture) and with TimberTech.
Bottom line, do your own research, get to know the guys at the lumberyard and know your stuff - ultimately, you're the one that has to face the customer.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
If trex came out with a perfect decking material I would not spend a dime with them. Out right theft,securaty viloations, class action,false adverstising, stone walling the many customers they screwed over.....Nope its not going to happen they are a rotten business. J.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.