Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a mint ELU plate joiner. It's around 20-25 years old and in a steel box which reads " ELU Woodworking tools by black and decker". While this is no Lamello machine it is built pretty good in comparison to other average machines like Freud offers.

Does anyone else have any input on machines like this other then Lamello? I had my eye on the PC plate joiner but couldn't beat the deal I got on this one.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I also have an Elu biscuit cutter, about 20 yrs old. love it
It isn't a lamello, but it far better than the rest. IMO

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
I've got the PC 557 plate joiner and LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT.

Can u tell?

I use it all the time and find it to be a very valuable tool for the type of work I do.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
I own a Porter Cable, and would buy another one or a DeWalt. This is me just guessing, but I imagine most have switched or are thinking of switching to the Domino. Me included.

As cheap as a joiner is, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have both biscuit joiner and domino.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After looking at the Dewalt at home depot it appears to be an exact copy of the ELU but in yellow. Not surprising with black and decker owning both brands.

·
Registered
732 Posts
So that's a later generation than the link I showed of the one I have. The original is basically and Angle grinder on its side with a single point pivot mechanism to plunge.

They are both good units.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Elu used to be it's own brand. They were very good (and pricy) tools.
Black and Decker cheapened them.
They used to have a killer job-site table / chop saw.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
For serious finish work, Lamello is the only biscuit joiner to own. Everything else falls short.

·
Registered
732 Posts
For serious finish work, Lamello is the only biscuit joiner to own. Everything else falls short.
I have done plenty of fine finish work with my Elu and PC 557. With the exception of the Zeta, which is a new spin on biscuit joiners that utilize special fasteners, you may be able to do work a little faster or more efficient with the Lamello, but I don't think its any better quality. At the end of the day your cutting a slot, as long as the tool does it in a repeatable and precise fashion, you can get excellent results. Do I like the micro-adjust on the Top 21, sure, is it worth 3x what the PC costs, ehhh, debatable.

Remember, its the carpenter, not the tools.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I have done plenty of fine finish work with my Elu and PC 557. With the exception of the Zeta, which is a new spin on biscuit joiners that utilize special fasteners, you may be able to do work a little faster or more efficient with the Lamello, but I don't think its any better quality. At the end of the day your cutting a slot, as long as the tool does it in a repeatable and precise fashion, you can get excellent results. Do I like the micro-adjust on the Top 21, sure, is it worth 3x what the PC costs, ehhh, debatable.

Remember, its the carpenter, not the tools.
Not so, I have/had the Dewalt, P-C, and a Makita, and all of them had some play in the plunge mechanism - a few thousandths makes it so the material doesn't line up on the face exactly. The Lamello is a precision tool, just like Festool, and time is money, so I can't afford sub par tools.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Don't have that issue with either of mine. Fit has always been great. The elu was an expensive tool its day and due to the design there is no play as it pivots and doesn't slide.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
My PC is about as tight as my first girlfriend. It makes a slot. The slot fits a biscuit. It plunges as smooth as can be. Am I missing anything? The Lamello is certainly a better tool in fit and finish, but I think the results are identical. I've owned mine for well over 10 years.

·
Registered
133 Posts
We have the PC. Don't use it much anymore with the kreg. I was disappointed with the slop and misaligned pieces.

What are you guys doing with the PC to get it spot on?

Andy

·
Registered
732 Posts
Any thought's on the Freud? Is it junk?
I have the original 100 model which has got to be 25 years old at this point. Its get the job done but is underpowered in comparison to the newer models, like the PC.

Mine doesn't have a rack and pinion neither, so it take more time to get it dialed in. It also only does 0 and 45 deg. The PC is fully adjustable from 0 to 135 deg.

I still take it out for doing decks with the eb-ty hidden fasteners, but other than that, it collects dust.

BTW, HS has the PC 557 on sale for $179.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cable-3-3-8-in-Deluxe-Plate-Jointer-557/100036249?N=5yc1vZc289

1 - 20 of 22 Posts