Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Does anyone have a source for flat plastic structural shims? Like these, but I need to buy several sizes in small quantities, not 2400-packs.

Go to a job site that is setting some precast, stone, windows, glass and give the foreman a case of beer/ 20.00 $ for a few dozen?

I can usually pick up a gallon or two of shims off the ground/floor after the crew is done....... as they are ~0.25 to 1.00$ each.........

Any commercial glass guy will have hundreds? or more on the their truck/ gang box.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Most glass shops will hook you up with some.
Failing that
Maybe grainger or fastenal?
Strybuc?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Sorry I wasn't clear. The key word here is structural. I've already tried the usual suspects like Grainger, etc. They don't have shims that come with compressive load ratings. Only temperature ratings. I need them to be rated by the manufacturer as to compressive strength.

·
Registered
Remodeler / Builder
310 Posts
Have you contacted the vendor you linked to? The mention that they can make to order. Maybe they can build you a special pack?

·
The Dude
2,388 Posts
Or point you towards a retailer they supplied.
I've never encountered a manufacturer / vendor that won't point you to where you can buy their products - I do this all the time. I'm a small fry so I'm not even remotely on the radar of who they'd directly supply, but they're always very helpful in pointing you to who has their products to sell to you.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you contacted the vendor you linked to?
Yes I have and they only sell direct. No distribution. Yes, very unusual. Apparently they sell in those large quantities to large commercial builders and such. They were nice, they looked to see if they had any open boxes but they didn't.
Hopefully I can find another manufacturer, but since I don't see the product at any of the normal distributors, it's not looking promising.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just found another manufacturer, Grove Shims. They do sell to McMaster, Fastenal, etc. Problem is none of those distributors stock the shims so I would have to special order in case quantities. Back to square one.
Interesting: I had a chat with a local Fastenal office. They no longer have regular stores or a standard product stock list. They have warehouse locations and each location stocks basically what their large local customers need and little else. And they won't sell you unless you have an account. So no longer a retail outfit in the normal sense.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts