Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay we just got done taking down a building and inside and adjacent to the building are a substantial qty of curved, insulated, plastic panels. There is 8 oversized skids of these panels. They are intended to be used as outer shells for wind turbines, the co. erecting the turbines went out of business and left these behind.

Just to throw these out would be 2-3 30 yard dumpsters.

I'm including pictures of the panels and a few details and would love to see what people come up with for possible uses!

Dimensions of each panel: 5'6"x8'

6 panels together complete a 180 degree radius 12 are a circle. They interlock with tabs. And have pre drilled holes for fasteners.

Total radius is 16'.

The only thing I have come up with SO FAR is material storage bin roofs, however I think it's a little too large put together in a half circle. They would be perfect because the other side (without holes) is perfectly smooth.

I appreciate any ideas and look forward to hearing them, and hopefully save them from the dumpster!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
Where are you located? Anywhere near PA? My buddies and I winter camp annually on a 100 acre property and sure could use a ring of those to encircle our fire seating area around the campfire. Blocking wind and keeping smoke out of one's face can be a major undertaking. It was an issue this year. It would be great to have a stack of them stored behind the Adirondack for a windy weekend.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,456 Posts
Doggy day-care

Children's day-care

Fence for smallish above ground pool

Landscaping

·
Registered
54 Posts
Give craigslist a shot. If I was closer I'd probably try to repurpose them as some sort of yard art! Could make an interesting backdrop screen.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Not to sound like a tree hugger, but a recycling company might take them. You said they were insulated. If its foam insulation they probably won't.
Other than that I would give them away. Save on the dumpster cost. Of course it would drive me crazy to see someone selling them for a profit the next week. Why didn't I think of that.
As far as uses, I was also thinking livestock or silage.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
If you don't just toss them, let's say you'll put 10 hours into dealing with them. What can you do in 10 hours to build your core business?

·
Retired Contractor
1,197 Posts
Okay we just got done taking down a building and inside and adjacent to the building are a substantial qty of curved, insulated, plastic panels. There is 8 oversized skids of these panels. They are intended to be used as outer shells for wind turbines, the co. erecting the turbines went out of business and left these behind.

Just to throw these out would be 2-3 30 yard dumpsters.

I'm including pictures of the panels and a few details and would love to see what people come up with for possible uses!

Dimensions of each panel: 5'6"x8'

6 panels together complete a 180 degree radius 12 are a circle. They interlock with tabs. And have pre drilled holes for fasteners.

Total radius is 16'.

The only thing I have come up with SO FAR is material storage bin roofs, however I think it's a little too large put together in a half circle. They would be perfect because the other side (without holes) is perfectly smooth.

I appreciate any ideas and look forward to hearing them, and hopefully save them from the dumpster!

Looks like a lot of money sitting there.
Ten Minutes on line and you could reap the rewards.

OR

Send me some close up shots and any names or numbers on it and I'll do it for you and split the sale with you :D

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Some guys already mentioned pouring concrete on top of them or insulating the exterior of basements. Those are good ideas.

You might use them to finish the inside of a garage. They might be easy to clean. I suppose they are nice and white and bright. Ceilings? Fire?

I have heard of people using carpeting instead of the landscape fabric to have a gravel driveway on. These may work well for that as well.

You could even sheath the outside of a building with them, put up nailing strips, and side it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts