Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I am a residential contractor by trade and don't have much experience with plaster. I've run into it on a few remodels before but almost none of it was salvageable. I am looking at a house currently that has plaster walls and ceilings throughout. The problem is they are very dimply, and have obviously been painted before but are otherwise in decent condition besides a few cracks here and there. The paint is peeling in many places and my question is this. I would like to skim coat all the walls so they are smooth like drywall, but do I need to remove all the paint to be able to do this? If so, how do i remove the paint? There also seems to be a lot of misinformation as to what the best product is to coat the plaster, what are your opinions? Thanks for the help guys. I am not sure how much experience my drywall man has with plaster so I wanted to get some expert opinions first. Thanks a lot.:notworthy

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
DO Not remove the existing paint.
Prime all walls with Plasterweld, cover cracks with mesh tape and apply skim coat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mellison. What product would you recommend for the skim coat? Also, how smooth can I expect this to be when I am finished?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
It depends on the area.
A large area that will not allow time for a second coat the same day we simply use Joint compound.
If you can expect to hit the walls a second time that same day we mix compound with EZ Sand or something similar.
As far as the finished product, We expect it to be perfect. There is no reason to go through the process otherwise.

·
30 yrs carpentry/drywall
89 Posts
It depends on the area.
A large area that will not allow time for a second coat the same day we simply use Joint compound.
If you can expect to hit the walls a second time that same day we mix compound with EZ Sand or something similar.
As far as the finished product, We expect it to be perfect. There is no reason to go through the process otherwise.
I second the above but you can also add diamond dust to the ez sand 45 or 90 (if you choose to use ez sand/quickset) and it will harden the same as plaster does (smooth as glass and highly durable) beyond just plain old ez sand/quickset.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you're guy doesn't have much experience plastering they way these guys said should work good. If you can find a good plaster mechanic and you want it to be more durable or higher quality than a patch job you could resurface the whole wall w/ a veneer plaster. X-kal is made for a one coat application as is Diamond smooth. Personally I prefer to do this if the home owner will spring for it since you can level everything out, heavy mesh the cracks, and hard trowel it to a glass-like finish.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Plaster guy does it the way we do. If it's plaster we put plaster back. Drywall mud isn't as smooth and can see that sometimes with glossy paints in bathrooms.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Old plaster house = high possibility of lead paint. I wouldn't disturb it if I could avoid it. We had a ceiling with this problem a while back, and our drywall guy just laminated it with 1/4" rock, however it was a small kitchen ceiling so it was cost effective. The areas you're working on might be too big for this to be cost effective.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts