Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Well, I did. Demo'd the whole ceiling because we decided to check all the drains anyway. Hardboard on the floors, demo hammer with chisel bit to cut some rectangles as you go, etc. Easy.

Now I have to deal with the mess. Probably I'll try a bagster this time around.

EDIT: Bagster pick-up charge with tax is $163.24...I thought these things were a deal. Maybe only to save time.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
EDIT: Bagster pick-up charge with tax is $163.24...I thought these things were a deal. Maybe only to save time.

A lot of my customers think that $40 they pay for the bag cover the pick up too. :laughing:

It is cheaper to get a small dumpster dropped than two bagster pickups.

And thanks for the update. :thumbup:

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
I would tear that section down and replace it with drywall and shim as needed to get it flush with the existing plaster ceiling. Next mud new seams and skim out the rest of the ceiling. :thumbup:

If the homeowners don't want to do that and just want you to put a bandaid on this plaster ceiling problem. Definitely explain to them that this is a dangerous situation and it could fall and possibly hurt someone at anytime. Then write a separate change order for this ceiling repair explaining the potential dangers and get them to sign it releasing you of any responsibilities. :thumbsup:
Right on. I'll use some buttons on ceilings where there is a little localized sagging near a crack, but they cannot be trusted to pull in a large area. The plaster will keep failing and end up landing on sombody's supper table.

·
Super Moderator
11,330 Posts
Right on. I'll use some buttons on ceilings where there is a little localized sagging near a crack, but they cannot be trusted to pull in a large area. The plaster will keep failing and end up landing on sombody's supper table.
Agreed. That's what I told the OP.
But he said replacement wasn't going to happen. So, I was just trying to help the best I could with that plaster washer suggestion. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Agreed. That's what I told the OP.
But he said replacement wasn't going to happen. So, I was just trying to help the best I could with that plaster washer suggestion. :thumbsup:
We eventually came to our senses. :) First it was about cost, but then it became more about peace of mind, in that we could also get a better look at the plumbing work before it got closed up.

I even thought of replacing just the bad part, but figured who wants to feather all that? So I took down the crown (temporarily), pulled it all down, cleaned up the edges, and we'll go from there. A good feeling to do it right.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts