Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Around this property there is a lot of this scruff. Ash trees being lost to EAB besides a number of hedge trees. Look close and you can notice a stump. Some of the trees here even near that lower shaded area of a slope (forms the property border) will have to be removed in the next year or so.

Is there a hearty type of tree that can be planted within this growth tough enough to see it's way through and sprout up relatively fast? Magnolia?

Prefer to bring in the new trees without having to cut out rounds for light. That would create open areas everywhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are looking into replacing the taller trees that were recently cut down to help maintain the privacy/cover.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I've never liked planting fast-growing, weedy species. Plant some good trees, even if they're not fast growing. The home-owner (or you) will blink, and it's 10 years later, and you'll have some nice trees, instead of some PITA black acacia or whatever. If you want something fast growing, you could try poplar.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I've never liked planting fast-growing, weedy species...If you want something fast growing, you could try poplar.
I know what you're saying about poplar, we had some at another house and they shot up into this towering wall. Enormous height.

I am partial to magnolia, they are beautiful and grow quite large, but not sure how long they take to get that way.

Some of the pines you see grow wild even along the highway. We already have several (not sure what they're called) so they would blend generally with the rest & provide a sense of cover year round, when the leaves are off. But I do know we are in for some more clearing in the coming years as the EAB continues its devastation.

I took out another large ash about 2 weeks back, the top snapped off in the wind -- its not hard to recall pulling that 30 ft section up out from the steep banana-peel incline, the felled branches entangled among the underbrush. In hindsight, sometimes it is easier to accomplish these things not truly knowing what you are faced with beforehand!

- Appreciate the post, CarpenterSFO, and have a Happy Holiday.

BTW - visited your website, and like that tiled shower with buit-in safety bars for getting in and out. Parents are starting to age now and I'm really beginning to appreciate that sort of thing...

·
Registered
818 Posts
Try to get yellow poplar instead of a hybrid poplar. The hybrids don't live very long, even though they grow fast.

Evergreens grow slower the first 10 years, and then speed up faster than hardwoods after that.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try to get yellow poplar instead of a hybrid poplar. The hybrids don't live very long, even though they grow fast.

Evergreens grow slower the first 10 years, and then speed up faster than hardwoods after that.
Nice to know. Thx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts