Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't buy parts for the damn thing. :censored:
New armature would cost more than I paid.
Thinking about the Dewalt four post unit, but that seems to stretch the word "portable"

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I'm not a fan of dewalt and live Makita more but you would be silly to pick the Makita over the dewalt. The material comes out like I sanded it with 220 and it can be had for a great deal. When I bought mine I got a stand, spare knife set and dewalt router thrown in. Can't beat that. They always have some kind if offer running on it.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like that the Dewalt has a built in fan, but I think that the in/out feed tables are extra ,stand is extra...

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The dust collection on the DeWalt is pretty impressive. I use it with a DC in the shop, or one of the fabric covers that go over a trash can in the field. Either works really well. The stock knives suck, but you can get aftermarket HSS straight knives through Infinity Cutting Tools that are worlds better. You can also get a segmented cutter head for it through Byrd or Accu-Head. Pricey, but should pay for themselves in short order.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I've had good luck with Grizzly. I know everyone will hate me for saying that.

Reactions: mikeswoods

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The segmented cutter is about a $400 touch isn't it.
Does it have disposable blades or can they be sharpened?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Are you looking for another portable for general use and job site use?
If so--Dewalt is dependable and easy to get parts for--

If this is for heavy shop use---get a 15 or 20 inch one if it fits into the budget---I also like Grizzly tool company and hope to add one of their 20" planers to the shop soon---

·
Registered
155 Posts
The segmented cutter is about a $400 touch isn't it.
Does it have disposable blades or can they be sharpened?
They are square blades and can be rotated when they are worn or chipped. As far as I know, you can't sharpen them. Just be sure that when you rotate the blades the area where the blades sit is CLEAN or they will crack, probably as you tighten them.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would love to have a 20" but do not have the room.
It will get used in the shop mostly but does have to make occasional visits to the job site.
Definately want one where the head moves, and not the table.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
The dewalt is a nice machine. It's darned heavy though! it throws chips into my driveway 25' 7" (I checked :D) I don't have a dust collection system so I now use an old sears vacuum hose that's duct taped to a mesh bag that came with our leaf blower.

I'd be cautious about the byrd head, there's been several failures of the machine (cracking) with the byrd head installed. Not sure if they've solved that problem or not, I think it has to do with the load.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts