Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for one of those guides that you clamp a chisel or plane blade on to sharpen the angle with. I LOOKED AT rocklers and they have two. I was wondering if any of you had a recommendation on this sort of tool.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,376 Posts
MinConst said:
I'm looking for one of those guides that you clamp a chisel or plane blade on to sharpen the angle with. I LOOKED AT rocklers and they have two. I was wondering if any of you had a recommendation on this sort of tool.
http://www.woodcraft.com/search/search.aspx?query=chisel+honing+guide

So... you want a pair of roller skates for your chisels eh???

The one for $11.99 is what I have, works good. I use a 200 grit diamond stone then a 750 grit diamond plate to get a nice sharp edge.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Hey, - - thanks for remindin' me, guys, - - I bought the highest rated one (last months FWW maybe??), - - Veritas MKII from Lee Valley Tools, - - just under $50, - - came about a month ago, - - never even opened it, - - in fact, can't even remember where the hell I might've put it, - - oh, well, - - it'll turn up somewhere, - - hell bein' busy, ain't it??

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leo,
Thanks I ordered one. Just can't hold the angle by hand anymore.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
When I was doing timber framing full time I used the Lee Valley Veritas also. Does a fine job of keeping them true, and easily puts the micro bevel on as well. Rich.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Tom R said:
Hey, - - thanks for remindin' me, guys, - - I bought the highest rated one (last months FWW maybe??), - - Veritas MKII from Lee Valley Tools, - - just under $50, - - came about a month ago, - - never even opened it, - - in fact, can't even remember where the hell I might've put it, - - oh, well, - - it'll turn up somewhere, - - hell bein' busy, ain't it??

You sure like those -- dont ya?

You know a comma works just fine, right? :Thumbs:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
If you do much woodworking, you may want to find a wet grinder, it produces a slightly hollow ground profile. Follow up with a soft, then hard Arkansas stone and you're ready to shave.

I found the grinder at a flea market 20 yrs. ago, cost $15.00.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This post is a little out of date so I thought I would rejuvenate it. What are you guys using to sharpen your chisels and planes? Diamond stones? Waterstones?

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
DMT diamond stones with lee valley veritas jig and then I polish the edge with a water stone. I used to hollow grind everything, but I just hit the diamond stone now because I'm usually at work with a dull chisel and have to sharpen it right away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just ordered the veritas mark ii honing guide and a couple diamond stones (coarse and fine). Trying to decide on a waterstone for the final polish.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts