Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Placing toilet

6K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  ChrWright 
#1 ·
I did a job last week and it included a granite tile (12 x 12) floor...I will be having the toilet placed Tuesday....what, if anything, should be placed between the toilet and the floor. I have seen plumbers puty on regular ceramic tiles, but I wouldn't want to have the oils bleed into the granite tiles.

#2 ·
I have seen the putty on floors before and IMHO it's done if whomever set the toilet isn't sure of the wax ring seal (read hack).

Looks like crap and I would be worried about oil bleed as well.

I would think if the floor is solid and flat it is unnecessary. If the floor isn't flat the toilet shouldn't be set until it is.

Bring on the plumbers!

#25 ·
well, I don't want to get into the last few posts.
But to offer my 2 cents worth on caulking or not - I always try NOT to caulk between the bowl and floor. I guess as I am always installing a new tile floor before setting the toilet, I know the floor is going to be level and flat. I have ripped out enough toilets that were caulked and if they were leaking - what a mess. Most HO's were not aware of the leak because they couldn't see the water come out.

#29 ·
Please don't lie skyhook? why did you claim to be a plumber on our site?
I own property and I do my own plumbing work, hence the owner/plumber designation under trade.

What qualifies me to make that proclamation?
40 years experience and 5 generations in construction.
Passed the Ca. Contractors State Bar in 1984 on 3 trades 1) Plumbing 2) Electrical and 3) Wood Framing.

PZ is a public site. You don't own it anymore than you own the plumbing forum on CT. It is a learning tool, not some High School clic. Fact is I'm probably more qualified than 75% of the people on PZ, according to what I've read there. Like your buddy RSP who openly admits his work will fail, but the Lady wanted it that way.:laughing:
You also seem to have forgotten the lesson I taught you on
Water Hammer Arresters some years ago Ron.

This thread demonstrates exactly why I do my own work.

Carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.