Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a job last week and it included a granite tile (12 x 12) floor...I will be having the toilet placed Tuesday....what, if anything, should be placed between the toilet and the floor. I have seen plumbers puty on regular ceramic tiles, but I wouldn't want to have the oils bleed into the granite tiles.

· Money Changer
813 Posts
I have seen the putty on floors before and IMHO it's done if whomever set the toilet isn't sure of the wax ring seal (read hack).

Looks like crap and I would be worried about oil bleed as well.

I would think if the floor is solid and flat it is unnecessary. If the floor isn't flat the toilet shouldn't be set until it is.

Bring on the plumbers!

· Superior Firepower
6,255 Posts
Not being a plumber, why would the toilet need to be puttied, grouted, caulked or otherwise sealed to the floor beyond the wax ring?
Keeps to pee and cleaning chemicals out.
I run blue low tack tape around the base of the bowl and floor. Then poly-seam seal (caulk), press it in deep with finger, wipe off excess with a damp sponge, remove tape.

· Money Changer
813 Posts
I run blue low tack tape around the base of the bowl and floor. Then poly-seam seal (caulk), press it in deep with finger, wipe off excess with a damp sponge, remove tape.
OK. Makes sense to me. I still don't like the looks of ones I've seen.

But maybe I haven't seen one done properly yet. (or is that the point..................:shifty:)

· Superior Firepower
6,255 Posts
OK. Makes sense to me. I still don't like the looks of ones I've seen.

But maybe I haven't seen one done properly yet. (or is that the point..................:shifty:)
The bowl might not always sit flat on the floor. In that case, sanded grout might be a solution. Everybody has seen toilets and urinals with a 1/2" of moldy caulking. Any gaps of more than 1/8" are better when filled with grout first, than a thin layer of silicone or good grade caulking to keep it in place.

· Registered
29 Posts

Why use tape if you are using a water based sealant? The sealing of the bowl beyond the wax ring also helps with the potential of methane gases escaping through areas where water will not.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.