Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a job last week and it included a granite tile (12 x 12) floor...I will be having the toilet placed Tuesday....what, if anything, should be placed between the toilet and the floor. I have seen plumbers puty on regular ceramic tiles, but I wouldn't want to have the oils bleed into the granite tiles.

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
I have seen the putty on floors before and IMHO it's done if whomever set the toilet isn't sure of the wax ring seal (read hack).

Looks like crap and I would be worried about oil bleed as well.

I would think if the floor is solid and flat it is unnecessary. If the floor isn't flat the toilet shouldn't be set until it is.

Bring on the plumbers!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I have seen plumbers use plaster,caulk and putty.
My preference has always been the same grout used for the floor.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Not being a plumber, why would the toilet need to be puttied, grouted, caulked or otherwise sealed to the floor beyond the wax ring?
The wax ring seals the "plumbing".
The other methods help, in addition to the jonnie bolts, fasten the bowl to the floor.

·
Superior Firepower
5,089 Posts
Not being a plumber, why would the toilet need to be puttied, grouted, caulked or otherwise sealed to the floor beyond the wax ring?
Keeps to pee and cleaning chemicals out.
I run blue low tack tape around the base of the bowl and floor. Then poly-seam seal (caulk), press it in deep with finger, wipe off excess with a damp sponge, remove tape.

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
I run blue low tack tape around the base of the bowl and floor. Then poly-seam seal (caulk), press it in deep with finger, wipe off excess with a damp sponge, remove tape.
OK. Makes sense to me. I still don't like the looks of ones I've seen.

But maybe I haven't seen one done properly yet. (or is that the point..................:shifty:)

·
Superior Firepower
5,089 Posts
OK. Makes sense to me. I still don't like the looks of ones I've seen.

But maybe I haven't seen one done properly yet. (or is that the point..................:shifty:)
The bowl might not always sit flat on the floor. In that case, sanded grout might be a solution. Everybody has seen toilets and urinals with a 1/2" of moldy caulking. Any gaps of more than 1/8" are better when filled with grout first, than a thin layer of silicone or good grade caulking to keep it in place.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Why use tape if you are using a water based sealant? The sealing of the bowl beyond the wax ring also helps with the potential of methane gases escaping through areas where water will not.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.