Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a place they have used to order cabinet doors online that they would recommend?

I just need two for a small job. Not worth my time to make them in the shop even if I have to pay good money for them. Looking for unfinished poplar raised panel doors.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I currently use Walzcraft and have been very happy with them. I had one door(out of several dozen so far) that had one corner that was 1/8" out. They offered a replacement but I was able to work it out. Customer service has been great and the product is really nice. I have another order going in next week.

Get some sample packs from them for colors and you can really increase your margin on painted jobs.

I also had a good experience with Decorative Specialties. I mainly switched to Walzcraft because it was a bit easier to get pricing online.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I currently use Walzcraft and have been very happy with them. I had one door(out of several dozen so far) that had one corner that was 1/8" out. They offered a replacement but I was able to work it out. Customer service has been great and the product is really nice. I have another order going in next week.

Get some sample packs from them for colors and you can really increase your margin on painted jobs.

I also had a good experience with Decorative Specialties. I mainly switched to Walzcraft because it was a bit easier to get pricing online.
What is the typical turnover time after you place an order for a few doors and drawers?

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about the best router table money can buy? You should be able to make them in a few hours
Believe me, I would love to make them but I have about a month and a half of work than needs to be done now and the phone is still ringing with jobs with better opportunities. I'm booking jobs for January already. Its one of those jobs you just want to be done so you can move on even if you don't make much on it.

I'm not sure if they are going to go with raised panels or not. If it is it is just a lot more effective at this time to order two doors and two drawers than to mess with planing, jointing, glue up, yada yada yada. I can't make money at this point on little jobs like that. Easier just to buy the doors, get the job done and move on.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Believe me, I would love to make them but I have about a month and a half of work than needs to be done now and the phone is still ringing with jobs with better opportunities. I'm booking jobs for January already. Its one of those jobs you just want to be done so you can move on even if you don't make much on it.

I'm not sure if they are going to go with raised panels or not. If it is it is just a lot more effective at this time to order two doors and two drawers than to mess with planing, jointing, glue up, yada yada yada. I can't make money at this point on little jobs like that. Easier just to buy the doors, get the job done and move on.
Are you matching the profile and finish on existing doors, or just getting a pair "close enough"? I just did that once again, 4 doors this time, and again it turned into a headache. I've used a couple different highly skilled local guys, and other times online (various), but still, you almost always can tell the difference between the old ones and new.....and then there's the explaining, even after not promising a perfect match in the first place....because wood ages, variation in stock, etc.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you matching the profile and finish on existing doors, or just getting a pair "close enough"? I just did that once again, 4 doors this time, and again it turned into a headache. I've used a couple different highly skilled local guys, and other times online (various), but still, you almost always can tell the difference between the old ones and new.....and then there's the explaining, even after not promising a perfect match in the first place....because wood ages, variation in stock, etc.
No. This is for a new cabinet. Little job that I took early this spring when I was just going out on my own and hungry for work. Just want to get it off the plate and out of the way. Don't need to match anything. Its just a little built in cabinet that a TV will sit on.

I used to run a millroom by myself doing custom jobs all the time and it was difficult to make money. Now that I'm on my own and don't have a shop that is set up and ready to go at all times I'm finding that it is pretty tough to make any money at custom cabinet/built in jobs. To much time involved. Can't get enough money out of it. And little money to be had from markup on materials. If I can stay busy elsewhere I try not to go down this road more than I have to.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
No. This is for a new cabinet. Little job that I took early this spring when I was just going out on my own and hungry for work. Just want to get it off the plate and out of the way. Don't need to match anything. Its just a little built in cabinet that a TV will sit on.

I used to run a millroom by myself doing custom jobs all the time and it was difficult to make money. Now that I'm on my own and don't have a shop that is set up and ready to go at all times I'm finding that it is pretty tough to make any money at custom cabinet/built in jobs. To much time involved. Can't get enough money out of it. And little money to be had from markup on materials. If I can stay busy elsewhere I try not to go down this road more than I have to.
Ok, got it. I agree about the time and numbers. Every time I do it, I swear it off for the future. Final numbers end up high, but with too much uncertainty (eg. perfect matching).

I don't have a Walzcraft account myself, but can go through one of my suppliers. They takes 3-4 weeks, last I checked.

I also recently ordered a full set in alder from "remodelbyyou". They took 3 weeks for finished doors. They will ship quicker for unfinished. My doors were nice, but all shy by about 1/16" or so on the measurements (fwiw). Price was good. Barker door is also supposedly good (from what I've read elsewhere online), but you'd have to check into that yourself. And some of the amish places in PA look promising, as well. I might try them next time (IF there is a next time.)

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, got it. I agree about the time and numbers. Every time I do it, I swear it off for the future. Final numbers end up high, but with too much uncertainty (eg. perfect matching).

I don't have a Walzcraft account myself, but can go through one of my suppliers. They takes 3-4 weeks, last I checked.

I also recently ordered a full set in alder from "remodelbyyou". They took 3 weeks for finished doors. They will ship quicker for unfinished. My doors were nice, but all shy by about 1/16" or so on the measurements (fwiw). Price was good. Barker door is also supposedly good (from what I've read elsewhere online), but you'd have to check into that yourself. And some of the amish places in PA look promising, as well. I might try them next time (IF there is a next time.)
If they aren't raised panel I'll still probably end up making them and then just use a drawer lock bit for the drawers.

I even know a local cabinet maker who orders his doors because he can't make any money at it. Don't know where he gets them from though.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
What is the typical turnover time after you place an order for a few doors and drawers?
It depends on the finish and their current load. I've had doors in two weeks and then I've had them in four weeks. They usually tell me pretty accurately what the lead time is when I ask.

With Walzcraft you can set up the order online and then call a rep to check the wait.

I don't remember how long the time to make an account was. I think it was pretty much instant.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Have used Walzcraft several times. It's always been a few weeks to get them. If it's a big order, try doing a drop ship and picking it up at the shipping terminal. I saved a lot of money doing that on a large order. Nothing but happy with Walzcraft.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts